Computer Problems!!!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Recently, I had a few problems with my computer. It was slowing down and even crashing. So, I took it into my local computer repair shop to see what all was wrong with it.

After a couple of days, the shop called me to let me know what all was wrong with it. There were a couple. First off, they told my that I had a Trojan virus that was causing the major problems (fortunately, they were able to get rid of it). The second problem was that CCleaner was not working properly. The program was going through and deleting all of the registries on my computer, and not taking care of the problems that it was originally meant for. The technician informed me that that is a very common problem with CCleaner. He too had the same problems and found this out.

Now I have my computer back and everything is running well.

My suggestion is, if you have CCleaner, get rid of it. Use another virus scanner.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I stopped using CCleaner when I switched to Windows 8. That was a couple of years ago. There were quite a few articles on it messing up the registry so I did not want to take a risk. According to CCleaner the reg cleaner would only remove "unneeded entries" from the reg data base. When Windows powers up the OS wouldn't need to load these "unneeded" entries and would boot quicker. Since these entries are only some small bits of text code technicians were in doubt that this removal would have a significant effect. Instead they warned about this automatic removal since no-one, not even CCleaner itself, could define which of the entries was "unneeded".

BTW, CCleaner is NO virus scanner. It was designed only to simplify cleaning up your machine at a time when memory and disk space was an issue. That was decades ago. In the meantime the program was bloated up with functions the effects of which you can barely predict and memory and disk space should no longer be an issue on modern machines, so in essence the program has become obsolete. And with all these OS versions getting more and more complicated using the program could do more harm than good.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I have used Norton for many decades, and it's "Cleaner" is the best. Windows Malicious Software remover also works very well. AVG let me down big time, as did Malwarebytes. I still use CCleaner, but only for cleaning up cache entries, I do not let it do much else. None of the e programs can get into the Kernal anyways, so I am doubtful that CCleaner is the cause of much of what is being blamed on it. I hear and read this, but see no proof. My Norton Internet Security says it is safe. That Trojan probably came in through an email, which is how most Trojans get in, you are letting it in when you just click on the email, especially if you open in, and or follow a link inside. That usually means your I.S.P. provider has bad anti-virus software, and is not catching it on the server.

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
I will look into Norton. I am not saying that CCleaner gave me the Trojan. I am saying that both the Trojan and CCLeaner were blamed for messing up my computer.
Unfortunately, the my ISP provider is a small "no-name" company that has problems all the time. The sad thing is, there are no other providers that service the area that I live in.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The Trojan could have come from anywhere. CCleaner is just for getting rid of cookies, and has some other useful tools. You can allow or not allow it to do any thing that it is capable of. I think the guy the fixed you computer didn't know what he was talking about. I still use CCleaner. :)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
You are right, the Trojan could have come from anywhere. I have been getting bombarded with quite a few fake job offers. So, it could have easily have been hiding in one of those.
In the end, what is done, is done. Lesson learned. I am making a note to be more careful.

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Jul 29, 2018
East Anglia, UK
Unfortunately the way windows OS works, it tends to scatter bits of information all over the place. (including the registry)
Microsoft were slow on the uptake as executables are free to install themselves without any user control, hence the proliferance of virus/trojan/worms e.t.c

I have been a linux OS user for many years and it is so much safer, more stable, and faster than windows. (Any exe needs admin passwords to install)
A lot of people avoid linux because they have windows specific software they want to use or it's too different.
Linux is definitely worth checking out. There are lots of open source alternatives to popular windows software and all for free. Some win software can run on linux too through WINE application.
Some of the popular distros such as ubuntu and mint have really great support.
You can also run linux from a memory stick or CD to try it out without installing.
If you like it, you can partition your hard drive and install side by side with your win OS, so you can choose which OS to boot on start up or you can go full monty and replace.
Linux is great for keeping older PCs going too.
The only real negative is it takes a while to setup. The major distros have everything to get you started: wifi/lan, CD, basic printer drivers e.t.c and then it's up to you how you take it forward, but out of the box it's still a fully functional OS.
Anyway, that's a long way of me saying linux is likely to give you much less hassle from viruses and stability issues.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There isn't a Linux computer that can run the CAD programs I use. Linux has it's share or problems too. I do use it upon occasion when I repair laptops, but overall, for people who design with CAD, it's quite useless. Your better setting up a separate hard drive, and a mechanical switch to switch to Linux, than do it through any software method. You open a can of worms when you put those two OS systems on the same hard drive. Notice, I don't even mention Apple. ;)

Reactions: swampdaddy41

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
Jul 29, 2018
East Anglia, UK
Horses for courses.
I'm not a professional or super enthusiastic drafts person, video editor, designer e.t.c., e.t.c. and I don't need, or use high end programs.
I fully understand those that want, and need the market leading software applications are dependant pretty much on sticking with Windows OS.
For a dabbler like me though, the free offerings available for most applications is quite sufficient for my level of interest and budget.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Linux has it's place. I used "Soph-Crack", to take ownership of Laptops for my customers, when they forgot their passwords, and had done so on their Administrative account. Soph-Crack is a small self contained OS you put on a CD, or SD Card, and have the computer boot to it. it shows you all the passwords on the computer, or Laptop. I would delete all passwords, then give the Laptop back to my customer. Linux has established it's place, and I do believe someday, you will see the ability to do CAD or other graphics editing on it. For now, it is too limited, if you do such things.

swampdaddy41

Mar 5, 2007
Linux has it's place. I used "Soph-Crack", to take ownership of Laptops for my customers, when they forgot their passwords, and had done so on their Administrative account. Soph-Crack is a small self contained OS you put on a CD, or SD Card, and have the computer boot to it. it shows you all the passwords on the computer, or Laptop. I would delete all passwords, then give the Laptop back to my customer. Linux has established it's place, and I do believe someday, you will see the ability to do CAD or other graphics editing on it. For now, it is too limited, if you do such things.
I've been using Lazesoft home password recovery to help out friends (especially those whose kids put dumb passwords in they can't remember 10 minutes later on) recover their computers. Sounds like this "Soph-Crack" might be useful. A quick search did not find it; can you send me a link?
Always need to know, Swamp Daddy

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Swampdaddy, PM sent. :)