Coal To Liquids

Mountain Man

Sounds like something that requires a lot of energy consumption, and it requires a fuel source, such as natural gas - to use a raw material.

The Germans produced gasoline from coal on a limited basis during WWII.

chooch.42

:eek:Sounds like a "Commercial" with a lot of "Sizzle" and little real information. Could you have some interest in the advancement of this tech - and how do you figure to leverage this outlet for your spiel , Mr. www.lincenergy.us ? :cry: If my suspicions are misplaced, you have my appology> Bob C.

stormfather

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer-Tropsch

It's real, and like Mountain Man said, it's been done on a massive scale, so it's 100% viable. However, it isn't cheap, either. I want to say it's in the neighborhood of $75 a barrel once the plant is up and running, but it's been so long since I read about it that I've probably got the number wrong. I'm sure someone out there knows more or is doing the research right now.

David H

Here in the UK petroleum was produced from coal by ICI at Middlesborough into the 1950s.

With no likelihood of a long war and cheap Middle Eastern oil I believe the plant was converted to "plastics" production. I would think rail transport was a major link in the supply chain.

Unfortunately I herd that peak coal production is only a few years away, so coal is only a temporary substitute for oil.

D

Mountain Man

Something seems to be missing from this thread - the post that started it. :confused:

As for it being on a railroad thread, railroads today operate on diesel fuel, which is fractionated from crude oil. If a process can be developed to develop fuel from coal that is commercially viable, it would seem to me that the railroads would be affected by that process just as much as everyone.

There isn't much on this planet that isn't connected to fossil fuel.

Mountain Man

:eek:Sounds like a "Commercial" with a lot of "Sizzle" and little real information. Could you have some interest in the advancement of this tech - and how do you figure to leverage this outlet for your spiel , Mr. www.lincenergy.us ? :cry: If my suspicions are misplaced, you have my appology> Bob C.

I don't know if you were addressing me, or someone else as a part of this thread is missing. If you were addressing me, my only "interest" is in observing new technology. I'm retired and have no connection to much of anything.