Card Modeller gets printed!

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Well, hot on the heels of my 3rd place Bird of Prey win, I get another win as one of my card models has made a small appearance in a newsagent publication.

A few months ago, a scale model reviewer of all things tractors, combine harvesters and other farm machinery asked our chairman of the Norfolk Scale Model Group if there was anyone willing to help him with a project.

The first of which was a Revell 1/24 model tractor - the reviewer was having trouble with his inability to control the trembles in his hands and couldn't finish off the model.
So as no-one put their hand up, I volunteered to help out, just a small job of adding some small details & decals.
David who had requested the help went away with a model to review and was surprised to hear back from him a month later.

I had discussed with him my more preferred medium of card and paper modelling and he said do you fancy building another model?

"with pleasure" I replied - although this was to prove a challenge, the model which was supplied to me was already printed out and dated from the early 1960's this was a real 'head scratcher'
The instructions were very vague to say the least and a few searches on YouTube gave me moving pictures of the real item, and David supplied me photos of a surviving example which still works and regularly displays doing its job at a local rural life museum.

The finished example was definitely a challenge, but I really enjoyed being taken out of my sci-fi zone and into the world of agriculture.

I didn't really think much of it, but when it was finished I drove the model to his house and was truly in for a surprise!
He invited me in to view his collection of scale
machinery... absolutely gob-smacked!
Row upon row of beautiful models adorned glass shelved cabinets stuffed to the max!

He then said the card combine would make a small appearance in the newest issue of Heritage Tractor Magazine and a credit was due.

A chance encounter which has led to some interesting projects, and another proud moment to end 2023 off with.

Attached are both reviews and a couple of photos of David's amazing collection...

Web capture_1-1-2024_192013_.jpeg
Web capture_1-1-2024_193247_.jpeg
20240101_190724.jpg20240101_190806.jpg
IMG-20230712-WA0002.jpgIMG-20230712-WA0003.jpgIMG-20230712-WA0004.jpg
20230911_112536.jpg20230911_112542.jpg20230911_112744.jpg20230911_112747.jpg

This one was a stunning model & my pick of the bunch
20230911_113445.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That look really good! You did a GREAT JOB on this project!
Everytime I talk to someone about paper/cardstock model building, I always mention that it is possible to find (most) anything you want in paper/cardstock. This just confirms my statement.

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
That look really good! You did a GREAT JOB on this project!
Everytime I talk to someone about paper/cardstock model building, I always mention that it is possible to find (most) anything you want in paper/cardstock. This just confirms my statement.
Indeed, every time I have made anything for a friend, there's always something for everyone... I was looking for a Pier model for years, and on a Facebook group a chap from Poland says he had one, should turn up this week - cardstock rules :)
Excellent! This is an impressive collection, BTW. :)
you're not wrong, I was blown away! the empty cabinet down the end was about to filled with Britain's toy Land Rovers!
Nice work my friend and that a big collection.
Puts my two puny detolf cabinets of toys to shame, but yes 'what' a collection!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Very excellent of you to help this guy out. It is something we should do. :)

Reactions: Chuffy70

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Very excellent of you to help this guy out. It is something we should do. :)
It was truly a pleasure to do so, its the second person I have helped this year - we have quite a few enquiries at our club and sometimes these lead to helping others which always gives me a warm and fuzzy-feeling when you hand the project back and see the joy it brings.

Reactions: mijob

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Before you get sucked into making models that can take many hours for people, you may want to consider having a day a week when you build models with interested parties. ;)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Before you get sucked into making models that can take many hours for people, you may want to consider having a day a week when you build models with interested parties. ;)
Not really catching your drift @zathros but if there's anything I can be of help, then please do ask... :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If you have the time, you may find that in the group you are in, you can build a model at the meeting, showing its progression and have people who are like-minded join you. This hobby becomes a lot more interesting when someone helps you make that first model. ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
If you have the time, you may find that in the group you are in, you can build a model at the meeting, showing its progression and have people who are like-minded join you. This hobby becomes a lot more interesting when someone helps you make that first model. ;)
agreed, The club I was in when I lived in Mississippi had group builds every 6 months, and invited new modelers to join us, we even bought the kits for them.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Older people have more time, and an inclination to build models of things they have owned at one time. In my younger days I was too busy trying to make a living to mess with card models, even though I did, a little bit. I had an offer to publish some Gyro-copter models that actually flew, in book form, but the guy seemed sleazy.

Now I have more time. I will be picking up a Creality K1 Fast 3D printer within the month. Printing speed of 600 mm/s and print volume of 300x300x300mm, though you'd have to have a solid part to build up that fast. It is capable of up to five colors with the bracket they sell, but I could make just as easily. Got to keep the brain working. :)

Creality-k1-max-1.jpg

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
Thats a beast of a machine. Looking forward to see your models comming out this printer.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A thread on what features, and what is required, to engage a 3D printer would be interesting...
My 3D printer lives in USA. I send him vector plans and he sends me pictures of the build in return. ;) :toast:
:animated:

Reactions: mijob

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A thread on what features, and what is required, to engage a 3D printer would be interesting...
But yes, that is a great idea and may be very useful. I would love to know how you chop a big model into smaller parts for printing, btw. :)