capacitor?

kutler

Multiple Unit Applications

Those of us in the diesel age are most familliar with more than one locomotive operating with MU capability.

Rather than add capacitors to units usually MUed, would linking the units together electrically , temporarily be feasible?

Could wires tiny enough linked in series provide power when supply is interrupted by dirty track, insulated frogs, etc?

Could this principle be used in staight DC too?

C

baldwinjl

The capacitor should be going on the output of the rectifier on the decoder. PUtting a capacitor on the input will distort the DCC signal if it is doing anything to help power drop outs.

segraves1

Resurrecting an old post but I’m planning DCC in the near future. Someone mentioned the inrush current issue possibly tripping the decoder’s circuit breaker.

An alternative idea that I had thought of some time ago (can’t see why it wouldn’t work) would be to build a separate “power supply” circuit complete with high current bridge rectifier (larger diodes) and large capacitors both for storage and smoothing. This could then be tied into the decoder after the decider’s rectifier circuit with diodes to prevent backflow of current. The decoder would then still have the “factory” system operational but additionally be provided with a large “battery” of sorts to pull from over dead spots. Might be too big for N or Hon3, but I wouldn’t think large HO, O, etc. would be able to stuff the circuitry somewhere (I’m planning On3 so I have large tenders and boilers).

Yes/No?

Chris

pgandw

Resurrecting an old post but I’m planning DCC in the near future. Someone mentioned the inrush current issue possibly tripping the decoder’s circuit breaker.

An alternative idea that I had thought of some time ago (can’t see why it wouldn’t work) would be to build a separate “power supply” circuit complete with high current bridge rectifier (larger diodes) and large capacitors both for storage and smoothing. This could then be tied into the decoder after the decider’s rectifier circuit with diodes to prevent backflow of current. The decoder would then still have the “factory” system operational but additionally be provided with a large “battery” of sorts to pull from over dead spots. Might be too big for N or Hon3, but I wouldn’t think large HO, O, etc. would be able to stuff the circuitry somewhere (I’m planning On3 so I have large tenders and boilers).

Chris

Chris

Did you look at the link provided about "stay alive" circuits for decoders earlier in the thread? Here's the link again: http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/mainnorth/alive.htm. The inrush current issue is discussed towards the middle of the page. There is also information on where to tap various decoders to install the stay alive capacitor circuit.