Canon's Wolf in the Woods

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Yo fans,

this weekend I'm making a wolf for a colleague of mine. I chose Canon's wolf because it looks so adorable. The original plan was to add a rotating background but I decided to skip that idea to save time. Fortunately I found a very fitting diorama piece on the Canon website, so everything should look great together.

Pics are following! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Picture time! :)

The wolf was assembled as seen in the instructions. Assembly was pretty straight forward. The most labour-intense work was the cutting and scoring. ;)

DSCF9230.jpg

DSCF9231.jpg

I cut off the flaps on the head and used paper strips to glue the parts together. The seams were painted with brown markers.

DSCF9232.jpg

DSCF9233.jpg

I was a bit afraid of the dotted lines. I feared they would show too prominently on the final model but to my surprise they were quite decent.

DSCF9234.jpg

DSCF9235.jpg

DSCF9236.jpg

DSCF9237.jpg

The dog was glued to the base. Two bases are provided, one white one for individual colouring and one that looks like stone or snow. I chose the stone base. It is very important to glue the model to the base because the feet and legs want to turn into the wrong directions. Once glued down they keep their position perfectly.

DSCF9243.jpg

The base could be laminated to some stiff card but as you can see the model stands just fine even without laminations.

DSCF9244.jpg

I already cut the base shorter to allow the dog fit into the dio better. It will be cut down even further and re-painted later.

DSCF9245.jpg

DSCF9246.jpg

When I examined the size of the model I was curious and paired it together with another model:

DSCF9251.JPG

Et voilà: They fit together nicely. So it is not too far fetched to say that the wolf is about 1/12 scale. :)

The model is very nice. However there is one thing that does not look quite right:

DSCF9247.jpg

DSCF9248.jpg

When viewed at from a lower angle you can clearly see right into the model. That is very unfortunate because it gives it an unfinished look. I understand why Pino chose that solution but nonetheless it would look better if the holes were closed. Ah well. This will be noted for the future. For my plans it will suffice as is. :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Now on to the diorama piece. Canon provides such beautiful and artistic renderings that it is a joy putting them together. They are loaded with detail which keeps the eye so busy that you don't really recognize how simple the model really is.

DSCF9239.jpg

DSCF9240.jpg

DSCF9241.jpg

DSCF9242.jpg

DSCF9249.jpg

Just look at this gorgeous artwork. Hard to believe that this is supposed to be "only" the background! :)

Sorry for the cutting mat but I had to use it to provide a stable ground plate. This will be changed on-the-fly because the next step is to laminate the plates to some card. Stay tuned! :)

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you! :)

INDEED! The two look great together. I also put the 1/18 Mando paper cutout inside and it looked pretty good, too. A lone Mando in the forest. ;)

I forgot to mention that I printed two sheets of the dio on one page. The original size turned out to be too big. I'll save the print for a possible future project. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Awry_Chaos

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Now the chicken for TV gave me the idea to close the body of the wofl with cotton. So in a way we are now dealing with a stuffed animal here. :Grin:

DSCF9253.jpg

Woofalf, the Wise, in his stuffing period. ;)

I have also cut off most of the base because I want to present the wolf in a more dramatic pose.

I used some card to stiffen the diorama pieces:

DSCF9254.jpg

DSCF9255.jpg

The base was laminated completely to card:

DSCF9256.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I hope so! :)

I glued all components into the frame.

DSCF9303.jpg

And the finished piece:

DSCF9304.jpg

DSCF9305.jpg

DSCF9306.jpg

DSCF9307.jpg

DSCF9308.jpg

DSCF9310.jpg

DSCF9311.jpg

DSCF9312.jpg

DSCF9313.jpg

DSCF9315.jpg

In these pictures you might recognize some wonkiness on the top border. I noticed it too late after the pictures had already been taken.

DSCF9317.jpg

DSCF9319.jpg

DSCF9320.jpg

DSCF9321.jpg

It's a bit hard to see in the pictures but the three-dimensional effect looks stunning in reality. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The wonkiness was bothering me. To fix it I simply glued a strip of card to the top frame. That levelled everything out and I went back on the balcony and took some additional pics - this time with a straight border. ;)

DSCF9328.jpg

DSCF9329.jpg

DSCF9330.jpg

DSCF9337.jpg

DSCF9339.jpg

DSCF9341.jpg

DSCF9342.jpg

DSCF9343.jpg

DSCF9347.jpg

DSCF9351.jpg

All in all it was a very fun build. The only drawback was the open belly of the wolf but fortunately there was a solution. The diorama piece is absolutely gorgeous and it really looks as if light is shining through the treetops. :)