C-21 Dragon Assault Ship from AVATAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketmanTan

Thanks for the feedback, guys, it's really encouraging.

I've just been brushing up the odd bit and piece on the mesh. Here's a couple of bits I've added; a weapons sponson, a turret, and the gunner's cockpit. All that remains is the missile sponsons on the side that Jake falls on to, the internal details for the cockpits, and to touch up the geometry to ready it for unfolding. Then texturing will start in earnest.

View attachment 103402

Can anyone offer any advice as to whether I should publish this in 1:100 (415 mm long) or 1:144 (288 mm long)? Or both? (Or all three?) Should I leave the miniguns as cylinders?

Multiple scales is always good! Dunno why, but a lot of people (myself included) are suckers for extra features! Also, adding a larger scale allows people with less-than-nimble hands to build the model, especially ones that are as intricate as this.

I would leave the miniguns as cylinders for something as small as this--or, you can include options for both!

Haereticus

Thanks for the advice. It looks as if I'll be remaking everything new since the last update as I just opened up my file this afternoon to see that it has somehow become corrupted. Fortunately I've been saving bits and pieces and it looks as though I'll be able to reconstruct most of the losses. Unfortunately, it's rather discouraging... I'll be more assiduous than last time at backing up.

Z

Zathros

I just did something really stupid with my computer, Tanks fully by loading with only "Domain Controllers" I was able to reboot and fix everything. Never again!!

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the advice. It looks as if I'll be remaking everything new since the last update as I just opened up my file this afternoon to see that it has somehow become corrupted. Fortunately I've been saving bits and pieces and it looks as though I'll be able to reconstruct most of the losses. Unfortunately, it's rather discouraging... I'll be more assiduous than last time at backing up.
I am sorry to hear that you are having computer problems.
I hope that you are able to get everything sorted and get this project (and everything else) back and will not have to deal with this sort of thing again.
Good luck to you.

hubo19

Wow, great project, can't wait to see how it will look when it"s finished. Be carefull and save everything to different places (hdd, pendrive, etc.) just in case :)

Haereticus

Fortunately I've been able to recover almost all of it, basically just losing the stuff in the screenshot I posted yesterday and the detailed versions of the rocket batteries mounted on the sides. It won't take me too long to get it up and running; it's mainly that it's much more boring trying to reconstruct some stuff you've already done than doing new things. I've been working on some other stuff instead, including Quaritch's dragon for the side of the pilot's cockpit and a prototype of the instruction document.

Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 09.15.29.jpg
I copied this fairly loosely off a scan of a picture from an AVATAR art book, so I can't take credit for it.

Screen shot 2012-02-19 at 09.17.01.jpg

I'll get around to completing the mesh in a day or two when the annoyance has warn off. In the meantime I've been backing up to the internet - I managed to get 50 GB of cloud storage with box.net, which is very useful indeed.

goodduck

Great look model! That model is full of detail, it need to go big to do it justice. I'm thinking 1/72 :)

Haereticus

Haha, thanks. I think at 1:72, which is 576 mm, nearly two feet long, people would be put off by all that green ink. Still, I'd love to see one at that size. I've been forced to redo some of the more detailed parts by corrupted files, so I've added even more detail, which I think will be included in the 1:100 version but not the 1:144. If you want to make a 1:72, please do - I'll be distributing the 3D file and possibly the raw .pdos as well as the final document. The internal structure I'm planning would probably support it. You might need an A3 printer though. Post build pictures if you do!

In other news: I've been recuperating from my data losses, and I should complete that after today. Then it's texturing, which due to its mostly symmetrical nature I'm hoping won't take too long. Then it's Windows 7 Boot Camp and unfolding time...

Z

Zathros

If you had a "Line only version", then it could be spray painted, and a 2 foot long model wouldn't be so far out!! :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
A line only one would be good for those who want to make thier own paint scheme for a diorama or other build.

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
I agree! ;)

Attachments

• carapacetopiso1.jpg
    carapacetopiso1.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 24
  • carapaceftltiso.jpg
    carapaceftltiso.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 14
  • ftiso.jpg
    ftiso.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12
  • medusaclrside.jpg
    medusaclrside.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 16
  • hillside.jpg
    hillside.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 17
  • bills-BL-jet-bike-009w.jpg
    bills-BL-jet-bike-009w.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 18

Haereticus

Haha, ok, there'll be a line-only version. Would it be preferable to include the panel lines that I'm attempting to put on? Perhaps I should just publish a file with all my resources, including the layered versions of the textures, and let people do as they will.

Z

Zathros

Do it the best way you feel comfortable with. I think a model with just the lines and all the other details would be fine. This would allow anything covered by paint to be duplicated. I hope I didn't open a can of worms for you! :)

Haereticus

Haha, it seems that publishing a model of this size and complexity is more work than I had anticipated! Fortunately, though, it's good fun, so I'll keep at it until it's done. I might even be mad enough to keep making them.

luciencarroll

Grand Poobah
Haereticus. I say go with the version you want to build. I'm having to make similar decisions with my daedulas considering I'm designing it to be about 4 feet long and 2 wide the issues of coloring and paneling have been foremost specially considering its all in the gray scale. Wile I'm most likly going to go the rout of printing at staples the option of painting it does sound good, now if I only had the skill to paint.

Haereticus

Tiny update

Ha, I'm not sure what scale I want to build it at yet - probably leaning towards 1:100, but we'll see how test-builds go. I do want to see a 1:72 build though, I think a crashed version would make a great centrepiece for a 40K game.

As far as I can tell, the secret of model painting can to some extent be distilled to 'buy an airbrush.'

A tiny tiny update: I've been working on rebuilding what I lost and on some of the stuff I hadn't got around to. I'm backing up often in .wings and .obj and working on the model in sections to prevent the poly count growing too much - I suspect the fact that the file that corrupted was 75 MB may have been the cause. Here's a preview of the weapons sponsons on the sides.

Screen shot 2012-02-24 at 11.32.27.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.