Building the 'new' Setagaya Japanese layout

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Tonite the frame sections were finished and bolted together with hex bolts and T-nuts. Also the light box and supports have been assembled. Here you see the completed assembly, before painting, without the lights on ...

Attachments

• p2130004.jpg
    p2130004.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 1,466

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by Gavin Miller
That looks like it's going to be a long escalator ride down from the surface Doug. Speaking of which, will you be modelling escalators / steps / elevators whatever?
Gavin

Yes it is a long way - usually most Japanese stations are far underground, but quite often there is only stairs !!!

Between the station and the 'surface' will be an underground shopping arcade (that is why there is a longer 'slit' in the front viewing window. The plaform will be the length of the full height opening, but on the LHS you will be able to see the train going into the underground tunnel, and for that reason the curves are very broad (541mm)).
So in the higher, shorter opening will be the shopping arcade, using cutup buildings that some people may remember were on the front of the old layout. Luckily some new Tomix city office buildings that came out in the last couple of months, incuded elevators and escalators, so I have plenty to use in the subway, for the two levels. All this will have lighting of course so you can see the details.

Originally posted by redracer

Yes it is a long way - usually most Japanese stations are far underground, but quite often there is only stairs !!!

Between the station and the 'surface' will be an underground shopping arcade

That sounds like a great idea!

A visible subway is a project I have always dreamed of doing myself, so I am watching with interest.

Gavin

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Progress after this weekend includes nailing down the subway track, fitting protective edges to the track bases, and installing some fake roof support piers for the visible sections of the subway.

Attachments

• p3030018.jpg
    p3030018.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 679

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Sorry there has been no input for a while. I got some new shelves, and had to re-organise the layout room to fit them in, but now there is more room to work all around the layout. I have also had to re-align the subway traack to fit the platform in, and work out where to put the gaps to activate the automatic station-stopper circuit I am using. I have decided to run 4 car Kato 221 (one of Gavin's favourites!!!)& 223 sets on the overhead suburban line. In the mean time, here is a photo of one of the trains I will be using in the subway ...

Attachments

• e21730suka.jpg
    e21730suka.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 643

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
... and this is the other set I will be using in the subway. It is a 113 set, built in the 1960/70's. However it has been replaced on this particular line now by the set in the previous picture - the E217.

Attachments

• 113_01.jpg
    113_01.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 629

redracer

Jan 10, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Japanese-Trains.com
Originally posted by Gavin Miller
Shite. Y'gotta love all that catenary above the 113 set!!

Do the real E217s with double deck cars run through the subway (like Sydney's double deckers?)

Gavin

Didn't know you understood Japanese :)

The DD E217 cars are 'Green' cars, which means First Class. you have to pay extra to ride in them. You can see the same type,@but single dec‚‹, in the 113 sets, but with the longer windows.

Yes they do run in the subway, right through Tokyo to Narita Airport.