Building the Comet

fatalbert

Interesting. It is a bit like the light bulb (sure kids, grandpa used non-led lights in ye olde days), you can design them for an everlasting life, but then the manufacturers would go out of business, so they design them to burn out at a number of hours. Ink is the same, with large tanks, the printer manufacturers will go broke.
It is a shame that Mom and Pop shops disappear in Amerika. Here, the copyshop is part of a small chain, you can find them aroound the corner, and their prints are cheap, lightfast and not very more expensive than home prints.
Next time I'll continue with the Comet, it's not in the air yet!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
What's happened here is big chain stores like "Staples", to name one, do lots of printing, and they aren't very expensive at all. It's too much of inconvenience for myself, as I live out in the woods, and having my own printers (I also know how to fix these things) makes it feasable, and easier to just do it at home. SSince the place I buy from is onolly 150 miles from me, I can odrderigment Ink from them. I am still working on a order I purchased two years ago, for $150 dollars, and have almost half that ink left. It doesn't go bad in the bottles. I keep liquids like that in boxes with no light getting to them, in case algae can grow in them. I have heard this can happen in CSS systems, and clog the tubes, if the printer is in sunlight. They could sell ink cheaper, and they wouldn't go broke, they just wopuld sell more ink. It's called the "shotgun" sales method. It's why gasoline costs so much. The refineries realized they could get what they do now for gas, so when refineries needed overhauling, they just closed them down, and raised the price of gas. People need the gas, and they pay it. Nobody is going broke. Inkjet liquid is the most costly liquid on the planet. It costs more them liquids used to treat Cancer patients. It's a total rip off. wwww.inkproduts.com sells large amounts of ink to their customers in New York City. They aren't going broke, and their first tier buyer sells them all the ink they can buy. If you are one of the people who can order from them, you get a fantastic deal on ink. A ridiculously cheap price for O.E.M. ink, and these people answer the phone when you call them. You place the order online, but if you need something special, or have questions, they tell you what to write in the "notes" section on your order, printers they recommend, and fill your order to spec. They didn't sell "Ink Refill stations" in Pigment Ink till I asked them. It wasn't a problem for them. Not many internet business's answer the phone these days. ;)

fatalbert

Time to cover the wings. Because I don't have a leading edge nor a trailing edge, only a planform and wing profiles, |I can make each wing section with a closed treailing edge, and slide them as a glove over the wing profiles, see picture 1.
The light blue light card is used to avoid sharp creases in the silver surface because of the wingprofiles. It will give a smooth surface to glue the wing sections on, see pic 2.
When all the sections are glued in place, the mid section of the aircraft looks like this, pic 3.
It's beginning to look like a Comet now.

Attachments

• wing under covers preparation.jpg
    wing under covers preparation.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Wing under covers outer wing panel.jpg
    Wing under covers outer wing panel.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Comet romp and wing so far side view.jpg
    Comet romp and wing so far side view.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 6

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It's a nice feeling when you slide the wing over the formers and main spare, and everything fits. A great feeling!! :)

fatalbert

Another view of the wing fuselage center section. The shiny cardboard is perhaps getting a bit too silvery, but it does give a nice "metal aircraft" feeling.
I'm afraid, that I don't have many photo's from this stage on, fuselage and tail are straightforward, so I just built them, without taking too many pictures. I do have some pictures on how I make table top pictures with the completed aircraft photoshopped in real skies, and together with some earlier models. That'll be for the next time, if you're interested in that sort of "make-believe" photo's.

Attachments

• fuselage and wing 3-4 front view.jpg
    fuselage and wing 3-4 front view.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That's a model I would be very proud to have built, and own!! I'm jealous!! :)

fatalbert

The disadvantage of highly shining silver paper, is that you can see every seam. It is very difficult to achieve a smooth effect with burnishing. Next time, I'll use a more subdued aluminium coloured paper. Meanwhile, here are some more pictures.

nose close up.jpg

Another one from below

The photo I want to show you does not appear in the "insert image" button. I'm not sure what went wrong. So this is the only picture I can show you for the moment. I'll try to find out what is happening here. Anybody an idea?

fatalbert

Let me try once more.

I tried making a separate file for these pictures and save them in this new file, but when I open it, I get a message, saying somthing went wrong and contact Administrator. Administrator, can you help please?

fatalbert

I still have some pictures of the finished model, which didnot appear yesterday. I'll see, if it works today.

back small .jpg

I have discovered the problem, my original picture was too large, like 2500 by 3500 pixels. Apparanly the system would not handle that. So I made them smaller, and now you can see them.

sky small  -.jpg

This last picture was photoshopped with a nice evening sky.
I like to experiment with photo programs. I have tried to make pictures of the wing as seen from the cabin, and then layered it agains real world photo's. Is there an interest to see them? If so, I'll try to locate them and see if they have the right size for the forum. Just let me know.

fatalbert

I also got the design of the wing leading tanks from Lex. I'll prepare the photo's for you one of these days. I also have a building report on the ss Nieuw Amsterdam of the Holland America line. Any interest in that? I noticed there are not many mail liners on the forum.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
We used to host that model, but it was removed. I think Lex asked, maybe not, I don't remember. I do remember him telling me I could host it here. It may have become lost in the change, and a link was there, but no model. Things change. I sent him a P.M., to refresh my memory.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That shiny hull really brings it to life. Some of the new Chrome Spray Can Paints shine up like that. ;)

Ponytail2

We used to host that model, but it was removed. I think Lex asked, maybe not, I don't remember. I do remember him telling me I could host it here. It may have become lost in the change, and a link was there, but no model. Things change. I sent him a P.M., to refresh my memory.

If I'm correct that was a BEA-version, right?
Must be somewhere in my stash...
I like the BOAC more.

Keep us/me posted... Thanks!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
If I'm correct that was a BEA-version, right?
Must be somewhere in my stash...
I like the BOAC more.

Keep us/me posted... Thanks!

Yes, it was the BEA version. I've not seen the BOAC paper model version. :)