Building a complete 1841 Depot. roundhouse, shops, train shed and station.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think the building looks proportional. I learned, when I was a mold maker, sometimes you cannot miniaturize things solely on dimension, and expect them to look like the real thing. Something does change with perception. You building looks right, and taller is better than squat. :)

toptrain1

Good info John. I had some interest shown towards the depot at the train show last saturday. It was a good experience. On tuesday at the meeting of the Jersey Central Historical Society the depot will also be shown. That should be interesting. I'll take some photos there.
At the train show today.

IMG_4475 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4480 - Copy.JPG

What I did notice is that viewing people need to be able to walk all around the two tables to view all of it from all sides. Getting tables set up like these were limited what could be seen. I'll see how it works out.

Last edited:

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I think put to much height in the base and to little in the belfry.
Yep... I just went back to your original pix and figuring for perspective the original has a hip roof it would be quite a bit taller...

but looks good in the first pix, in the last post, do to the perspective ... just have to wing it!

toptrain1

On page 8, post Sep 28, 2018 is the Appleton view which some say was 1848. That is the date the Patterson and Hudson Railroad opened their depot in Jersey City on land they acquired from the New Jersey Railroad. This view shows a hip roof with a gothic styled bell tower on the New Jersey Railroad Depot. It also shows the Depot being under construction with the north side wall having Greecian style columns. Now the 1841 map lithograph shows a temple like depot with the construction completed and with a flat roof. No sign of a bell tower is here on the 1841 map, but on the 1848 map a Greek style bell tower is plainly seen. This means the Appleton drawing must be from either 1838 or 1839 when the construction to change the depot to one of a Greek temple style started. During this construction they changer the roof from hip to flat and the bell tower from Gothic to Greek, it was probably done by the middle to end of 1840. That is why I call my build an 1840 view of the Jersey City Depot.
frank

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Get some of that "N" scale grass for the bottom around the buildings, really sets uff the complex, adding some greenery, and details on the grounds. ;)

toptrain1

Nothing has happened here but a repair of the Aristo-Craft 4-4-2 atlantic type locomotive I got at the recient train show last weekend. My computer is out of action and I am using my chrome book to access the internet and make this post. Today I added a HO Train Co. CNJ 4-6-0 camelback to collection and my repair list. It does need some work with a broken frame, valve gear hanger, and walkways the most noticeable problems.

toptrain1

well my desktop screen isn't working. I am on a chromebook and my pictures are not here.

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Monitors are really cheap. At Habitat for Humanity centers, I've seen them for $20 dollars.

toptrain1

I should be getting my new monitor tomorrow. While playing with the Chromebook I somehow got my spellcheck reloaded and turned back on so my spelling should improve.

toptrain1

Well I have a new monitor. A Sceptre Monitor It doesn't set up a good as the Dell did. Lots of lost screen. Now that my photos are back and i am not using the little chrome book here is another photo of the completed Depot showing just the train shed and terminal as seen from the west.
IMG_4479 - m.JPG

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Looks fantastic. A couple of "Road Apples" behind those horses would be expected. :)

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Glad I came back when I did, this is amazing work. On my Whiskey River Ry. I plan on having a roundhouse that was half upgraded over time in my big city of Merrick. Four stalls will still be the stone, as-built in the 1880's part while the other 4 or 6 stalls (haven't decided yet) will be of brick construction that was built in the 1920's. The reason the railroad never upgraded the four stone stalls was that was in the budget for 1930, however it was decided when the stock market crash happened to forgo any new construction until more stable times came. I model mid 30's to mid 40's, diesels are a cuss word in my world so the railroad will never see the future of a diesels' efficiency.

toptrain1

Tyler Its model railroading. it doesn't matter how you build it. The CNJ's biggest steam engines were Pacifics and Mikadoes. They lasted to when the railroads folded. For the years you mentioned you should be fine with whatever you do.
frank

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Thanks Frank. I base a lot of why I model what I do off of history, not just local to my locale but also railroads that would be similar in size and around the same era. My railroad is fictional but has many ideas and certain cues from the Green Bay & Western (region), Soo Line (region and type of freight hauled), Nevada Northern (locomotive styling and type of freight hauled), Mineral Point & Northern (locale and type of freight hauled) and a few others. I'm keeping the idea that the 20's were a prosperous time on my railroad with older locos rebuilt and some facilities totally rebuilt, then re-emergence from the stock market crash with lead mining and paper production traffic picking up in preparation for WW2.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Who removed post #212? I don't get it. If it was Toptrain, then O.K., otherwise........

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Toptrain, this has really turned into something well suited for any museum. I think you have done a superb job. You're an Artist, that can actually build something. ;)

toptrain1

Toptrain, this has really turned into something well suited for any museum. I think you have done a superb job. You're an Artist, that can actually build something. ;)

Thank you Zathros, It kind of looks like what existed One Hundred Seventy-Nine years ago. It is the best till someone else makes a better one. To bad the Depot just didn't make the age of photography. I do feel that somewhere in a private collection is other lithographs or drawings of this first railroad depot on the Hudson River.