Building a complete 1841 Depot. roundhouse, shops, train shed and station.

toptrain1

I went outside in the yard with the columns all lined up in a row with space between them so first coat of paint would cover most of three sides. At this time the spray can clogged with more than a half can of paint still inside. Now I have to use my craft white paint and apply it with a brush. Now instead of being done with the columns and reinstalling them i have another 2 hours of work before i can reinstall columns.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
I went outside in the yard with the columns all lined up in a row with space between them so first coat of paint would cover most of three sides. At this time the spray can clogged with more than a half can of paint still inside. Now I have to use my craft white paint and apply it with a brush. Now instead of being done with the columns and reinstalling them i have another 2 hours of work before i can reinstall columns.

Yeah! Most cans nowadays tend to do that... hate to do it but I have to buy at least 2 for every project if I don't mix my own and airbrush them!

toptrain1

Here is why I made this whole thing. My first photo is time dated 5-17-18 6:58PM. It is 10-27-18 and it is 9:36PM. Add about 2 weeks to that for things i had to do to get to the first photo.
I am being nice because that does not include all the research I've done.
** It all gets me to this photo.

Washington Street looking east .
*** You are viewing History***
This is pretty much what would have been seen by people in Jersey City in 1840.

*** You are looking back in time, to what was lost in time. ***

IMG_4437 - S.JPG

Same photo you can magnify this one, and move around in it..
Flickr link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/45596749571/in/album-72157674632190762/

frank

Last edited:

toptrain1

Progressing on my bell tower. I hope to finish it tomorrow. Friday I pack my car with the depot however it is. Sat the train show at Carlstadt NJ. I'll see what people think the return of the lost depot..
frank

Last edited:

toptrain1

We'll all see saturday. I am hoping for the best but prepare for the worst. I do know it is impossible for everyone to be interested in a idea that I have had. I do hope most I encounter are as nice and caring as here and I will come home Saturday smiling.

Last edited:

toptrain1

At this time my new original bell tower is complete. I will post here only temporarily the Flickr link to the lithograph of the 1848 map. Because there may be some ownership issues so only those following this build will see it.
The 1848 lithograph showing the only view of the of the front of the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Co’s 1st depot in Jersey City.
It appeared as you see it here from 1840 to 1857 when the depot was replaced with another that was built across Hudson Street.
This first depot was then rebuilt and became a Freight Depot.
Both the first and second depots remained till the Pennsylvania Railroad tore them down to build their Square Barn Depot.
One which luckley burned down before the traveling public could mount a great complaint.
You see once the PRR built this depot they eliminated the complaint book which the New Jersey Railroad had at the main desk since the 2nd Depot opened. it was open and always accessible without asking for it.

A link to the Lithograph of the 1848 map.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/29075784897/in/album-72157674632190762/

Here is my photo of the depot with its proper bell tower. The Independence Hall clock tower and bellfree is not back in a box someplace.
frank

IMG_4469 - S.JPG

IMG_4468 - S.JPG

Last edited: