Build Firefox (MiG-31)

That could turn out really nicely. Get all the shiny-ness of the original Firefox scale props. Then painstakingly paint on all the tiles.

Off subject a bit. I know that Will B. / wbnemo has a 3D files of some sort that this is based on and is the product of over 15 years of research. Why not offer it for 3d printing?

That would be brilliant, if someone really wants a large scale model they can have it printed. By offering it free that takes away the potential legal problems of selling a Firefox model/kit/resin/plastic/etc.

Sorry if this collides with others' opinions. I'm inspired by instructables.com lately.

Help

HELP... SOS

I'm a bit stuck. I know that I have mislabeled pieces... but some of these just don't appear to be present. Perhaps when I converted from the pepakura viewer using the print-as-pdf function something got messed up.

Do you have to cut #26 the dorsal engine covering for step #7?
What pieces constitute the engine intake vent separators?
The 'rear center body'...what does it look like unfolded? (don't see it anywhere)
IMG_20130905_224254_zps590fdb89.jpg

#26 is the largest piece on the leftmost sheet (cross shaped)

IMG_20130905_224240_zps391597fe.jpg

Also what piece wraps the engine intake separators (#31 on instruction sheet).... so confusing.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
You've done an incredible job building and documenting the build. Great thread, great craftsmanship! It is cool to see this come together. :)

You've done an incredible job building and documenting the build. Great thread, great craftsmanship! It is cool to see this come together. :)

Thanks for the support. I had a look at the PDO on my PC at the office (as at home it's all Mac). Love how Pepakura shows which piece on the 3D model goes to the sheet!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
You really have impressed the H*ll out of me with this, your way of being, and for what it's worth, it is a pleasure to have you on this forum. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have to say that you are doing an EXCEPTIONAL JOB on this project.
This build thread will be (and is right now) setting the standard for all other builds of this model

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

IMG_20130908_194254_zps32d75dfd.jpg

Score everything.... and more. Looking at the 3D file really helps with this piece in particular.

IMG_20130908_194659_zpsd44d4a88.jpg

Na nana nannanan na.... BATMAN !

IMG_20130908_200159_zps27af7501.jpg

Glue in the structural support... lots of glue like bonding a Lotus Elise frame together. Does anyone know where XS8 should go? I may just throw it in for fun.

IMG_20130908_203814_zpsa1d9d3c8.jpg

With rudder and dihedral supports, all together.

IMG_20130908_204138_zps88909f9c.jpg

If your build is getting stressful add wine.

sjsquirrel

If your build is getting stressful add wine.

I like that! Good advice, and your build of this model continues to be superbly informative. I want to go build that plane now. I may have to scale it down though. It looks too big for my living space.

Looking forward to the next update.

Chris74

Good work there, I like it. In my army days I've only seen MiG21 and 29, so now I'll see a 31. On the other hand, it's a nice feeling to see I am not the only guy here working on a wooden board, instead of some cutting mat.
:thumb:

Good work there, I like it. In my army days I've only seen MiG21 and 29, so now I'll see a 31. On the other hand, it's a nice feeling to see I am not the only guy here working on a wooden board, instead of some cutting mat.
:thumb:

Haha... this is definitely not the real 31.

The wooden board is from my graphic design/artist college days, they had us do 'traditional' graphic design projects that required a hardwood drawing board. (it used to have a super nice finish).

I've been thinking about making a display case for this. With it's (16 inch?) length I don't think it will fit in any 1/48 aircraft display cases. Ideas?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Haha... this is definitely not the real 31.
That's correct. This is the plane from the 1982 Clint Eastwood movie "Firefox". John Dykstra made the VFX and pushed the boundaries of effects design by presenting fast-moving dark objects before a bright sky background. Moreover, the planes in that film sparkle and glisten in the sun during flight. This was a remarkable achievement because shiny models are very difficult to photograph. The reflections tend to cause "blue spill" which ruins the shot: The blue colour of the blue screen is reflected by the model which causes holes in the mattes. When these mattes are used the model doesn't appear solid any more but with moving holes of varying transparency. This is the main reason why you don't see any shiny models in the original "Star Wars"; all of them got a mat varnish before they could be used for filming. Universal Hartland tried to overcome this limitation, too, and presented a nice reflection on a shiny surface in the "Buck Rogers" episode "Olympiad" and glass windows using double-exposure in "Airport 80".

The real MIG-31 was introduced in the mid 70s. There was a lot of mystery about it which caused author Craig Thomas to "borrow" the name in order to give a certain sense of reality and tension to his story. His MIG-31 is purely fictional and features Stealth technology and the possibility to be controlled by the mind of the pilot. The phrase "think Russian" became very popular because of this.

"Firefox" was Dykstra's last major VFX project till he returned with the "Spider-Man" movies.

[YOUTUBE]F92L8jGJyis[/YOUTUBE]

"Firefox" was Dykstra's last major VFX project till he returned with the "Spider-Man" movies.

Didn't know all that cool stuff. I had a kids book that had a pic of the Firefox miniature attached to an arm. The book said the miniature was guided by a computerized recording of the movements of a real jet. Background was added in later, looks unrealistic by today's standards... surely more impressive at the time.

Small update. Added XS8 even though I'm guessing where it goes.
IMG_20130909_114234_zps600f4d55.jpg

Looks like XS8 is in a void. No interference with other pieces :mrgreen:
IMG_20130912_173256_zps3db0c52e.jpg

I'm putting the intakes together now too. Then the insanely detailed exhaust, tail, etc.

I'm a bit apprehensive about mating the fuselage and engine section. Test fitting has been a bit off.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't know all that cool stuff. I had a kids book that had a pic of the Firefox miniature attached to an arm. The book said the miniature was guided by a computerized recording of the movements of a real jet. Background was added in later, looks unrealistic by today's standards... surely more impressive at the time.
That's something I didn't know. :thumb:

You are right, compared to today's standards the shots look artificial. But the plane definitely rocks, even three decades later! :thumb:

One year before "Firefox" Dykstra made the VFX for another plane movie: "Starflight One". The film is unintentionally funny (and scientifically stupid) BUT the model work is superb. The plane looks like a little sister of the Rising Star from "Battlestar Galactica". I'd love to see a model of this one, too.

Your build is coming along ver nicely. If it hadn't already been stickied I would have suggested that because it features unique info on the build process (and it is the first build thread of the FF I know of). Great work so far! :thumb:

Getting those engine intakes attached to the wing is a bit awkward.
IMG_20130916_212941_zps18d092b6.jpg

Not sure really how but the lower engine nacelle just isn't wide enough really.
IMG_20130916_212928_zpsd0690275.jpg

I'm most concerned about joining the next wing secton as there is a 1/4" gap between the wing and the narrower nacelle after the wing slot.
IMG_20130916_212918_zps8ee0a607.jpg

Any input from the designers is appreciated.

Hey internet ghost town.

more build progress. just decided to trim the wings until they fit to my liking. weighted down with scissors.
IMG_20130922_115532_zps85b78daa.jpg

not too bad. only looks off if you look at it from the front really. oh and gap on starboard wing... think i can fill it with paper.
IMG_20130922_115700_zpsf1d6e975.jpg

idk if anyone else uses one, but i have this metal mesh office shelf. makes my small desk very useful.
IMG_20130922_120004_zps469696ed.jpg

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Looking great Firefox, I loved that movie when it came out, still watch it when ever I find it.

IMG_20131014_232922_zpsdfea513d.jpg

intake separators backward, at least symmetrical :crash:

IMG_20131014_232855_zps9e6b4679.jpg

Nozzles.

IMG_20131014_232848_zpsc3642511.jpg

Top separators went better :mrgreen:

IMG_20131014_234229_zps839ce902.jpg

Canards.

IMG_20131014_234240_zps550c0b6e.jpg

Canards removable :cool: with my friend electrical tape.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Man, this is coming out really nice. I like that table with the metal grid. I could make excellent electrostatic speakers out of those! Another ZIP DRY Fan, I love that stuff. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
This is really turning out BEAUTIFULY!!!
KEEP UP THR GREAT WORK!!!