Build Firefox (MiG-31)

I will be posting my build progress on the Firefox. I want to thank Janx, Zathros, Will Babbington (been appreciating your work for 13 years now), and anyone else involved in making it.

For me this is an extremely exciting build as I attempted to design one myself back when I was in late high school/early college. Being a professional graphic designer, one might think I'd done it already but I didn't. Mostly I didn't think it could work as a paper model.... then the whole 3D thing. I've included the sketches for the 1999 paper Firefox for fun.

post1_zps719fe21e.jpg

*not sure if this the correct place for a build thread, move it at will :thumb:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I have always liked this model and always wanted to build it, but also had other projects take precedence.
I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
I will be following this thread very closely.

sjsquirrel

I'm also looking forward to seeing this build progress. I also have it somewhere in my build list (which is as long as everyone's around here.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think this model is on everyone's build list. Firefoxussr, you are going to have a big audience. This thread will probably end up being a sticky! :)

trt

I agree with Zathros. It must be on everyone's build list. I'll pull up a chair and enjoy the show.

By the way which models is this, there seems to be a few versions floating around the ether

freddyman

your not at fault bro. we all get distracted. i can't wait to see more of your build. we just don't see fantasy jets around here often.

Rogerio Silva

Hmmm...

If you don't do it, I will!:curse: Naaaah... :rolleyes: Well, MAYBE after all the things I have going on at the moment...:eek:ops:
Good look, and we're all anxiously awating your build. :thumb: :wave:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Are you building a model of your design or the one by Nik Piper / Janx?

IMG_20130822_174416_zps03c26bb2.jpg

Finally bought the glue. One of the main hold ups.

IMG_20130822_174615_zps4c632669.jpg

One of these is supposed to be a scoring blade... don't know which one.

IMG_20130822_182056_zps7ae4a615.jpg

Made without a Zathros joint... other side looks much better.

IMG_20130822_182110_zpse3d1092b.jpg

Zathros joint on the left. (necessitated by me cutting off the tab on accident earlier, thanks Zath)

IMG_20130822_182040_zps9c873a17.jpg

See what I mean. Zathros joint looks ace by comparison. (side note- looks really fat without the bottom section of the nose. Big puffy cheeks Firefox. LOL)

Things I've learned so far:
1. scissors are only good for basic shapes that will not be visible or some crazy curve.
2. xacto knife is preferable for all cutting... except scoring... use a dull one.
3. yes use a ruler to do your cuts with the xacto
4. be patient and take a break
5. zip dry is just that, don't leave the cap off.

IMG_20130822_192453_zps5c84ad4b.jpg

I built the bulkhead with the overlapping strip and used a lot of glue to ensure the bulkhead had a nice bond to the outer skin/strip.

IMG_20130822_201804_zps53a2619b.jpg

For adding the first fuselage section to the nose section I ended up putting the canard support through first, then wrapping the skin top of the connecting strip, then skin bottom and gluing the reinforcement strip then using lots of glue for the bulkhead. I did this for the sole purpose of not having the nose section have a slightly different shape than the first fuselage section and having an awkward joining there.

I also have lost piece #11. Or maybe it wasn't there to begin with lol... will check the source file.

I haven't put the canards on yet as there's an option to build them straight or swept, I think I rather just slide the canards on to the support and not glue them in place. Gives me the flexibility to change it on a whim :mrgreen:

My impressions are after about nearly 2 hours of this build: wow quite fun. Not a dull moment putting it together. I decided to take a break for the night as I don't like to rush building a kit. I have memories of building injection-mold plastic cars and botching things from spending too many hours consecutively.