Biting the bullet..

Jadriancz

Well maybe should be titled biting the brother.. I finally broke down and purchased the Brother ScanNCut2 CM100DM version. They will probably release a new version next month now that I bought it.. lol.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I have a Cameo Cutting machine, but the first one was defective, they sent me a new one but I was so disgusted, it just sits there. Placing all those control points is like making over again, very time consuming. Pepakura has a Plug in you can buy, but I loathe Pepakura, so that's out. :)

Jadriancz

Well I finally received and opened the ScanNCut2 package.

First issue is on a vendor for a 12x24 mat which arrived creased and bent due to the packaging in which they shipped the mat. (or we can blame USPS for the condition of the package by delivery time).

2nd issue is my fault for not reading more info in regards to the capability of the ScanNCut2 (CM100DM). Evidently it can ONLY direct cut a 12x12 area and not a 12x24.

First I scanned a "World of Tanks on plain 20# 8.5 x 11 paper and set the cutter blade depth to 1. It took less than 30 seconds to scan and about the same to process the image. Cutting took approx 5 minutes for the page.

IMG_1065.JPG Completed cut page. I highlighted some damaged areas found after the cut.

IMG_1068.JPG After removing the paper this is what was actually cut. Could be due to my selection for the area to cut.

IMG_1069.JPG This is the paper removed. As you can see there is quite a bit of items that were not cut. Unsure as to why this happened so will need to do more investigating to see if it was my issue or the cutters issue.

IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1071.JPG As you can see even at a blade depth setting of 1 it did actually score the mat pretty good thru the paper.

After adjusting the cutting pressure to a -2 it now barely scores the mat but does cut the paper cleanly.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Cuts very nice!! You may inspire me to try my Cameo Silhouette again, (probably not, got a motorhome and two cars, and a tractor to work on), but it looks good. ;)

Jadriancz

Well after almost a week of playing around with the Brother ScanNCut 2 here are my conclusions...
1. The 300 DPI scanner is isnt sensitive enough to properly scan even at a slower scan speed.
2. It doesn't pick out light colors at all. I tried several different models which had varying darkness of patterns. (Ninjatoe's Viper mk II, Axiom ship, a ufo and a tank)
3. The best results only come from scanning to file then editing that file in paint or Gimp darkening the borders to be cut.
4. the cutting is inconsistent across the pattern, some parts are completely cut out others are only scored in some places. Some of the areas actually get torn by the blade during the cut.
5. The standard mat which is the recommended mat for paper is actually a little to adhesive for standard 20 and 24 lb papers. Thicker 65 - 110# paper you still have to be very gentle removing the patterns as they can tear or seperate layers during the removal.

I was very disappointed based on all the videos I watched and reviews prior to purchasing. I am going to be returning it and resuming using my binoc reader glasses to be able to cut out the patterns with my hobby knife and deal with the hand cramps and twitches until I can find something better within my budget.