AT-ST Walker

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
As you might know (or have wondered why I made such a big U-Wing model) I make paper models for 28-30mm figures.

The AT-ST walker from Star Wars is a model I can imagine on a gaming table. It's size is big enough to be a hopefully impressive beast to look at, yet still small enough to be manageable.

I have looked around which paper models of this craft exist and found that none fit my needs 100%. So I have decided to give it a go and see if I can make an easy to build, sturdy, good looking and poseable (before gluing! not moveable :)) version.

In addition to the default stand pose I want to be able to pose the model as I find it looks so cool in action when moving.

I am making the limbs out of layers of 300gsm paper to reach the desired thickness of 2-3mm.

This is a shot of a first prototype to test stability of the (almost) accurate limbs of the legs. Looks good so far :)

DSC06606.jpg

Next will be a test of the limbs that connect the legs to the body.

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
Jun 1, 2015
As you might know (or have wondered why I made such a big U-Wing model) I make paper models for 28-30mm figures.

The AT-ST walker from Star Wars is a model I can imagine on a gaming table. It's size is big enough to be a hopefully impressive beast to look at, yet still small enough to be manageable.

I have looked around which paper models of this craft exist and found that none fit my needs 100%. So I have decided to give it a go and see if I can make an easy to build, sturdy, good looking and poseable (before gluing! not moveable :)) version.

In addition to the default stand pose I want to be able to pose the model as I find it looks so cool in action when moving.

I am making the limbs out of layers of 300gsm paper to reach the desired thickness of 2-3mm.

This is a shot of a first prototype to test stability of the (almost) accurate limbs of the legs. Looks good so far :)

View attachment 156090

Next will be a test of the limbs that connect the legs to the body.

Papierschnitzel,

It'll be interesting to see how you make a simplified model. Looking forward to the build.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
Quick update: Left the legs in standing position over night. Wanted to see if they bend or crack or something .... and they survived intact :)
Hope they will be strong enough when the additional weight of the cockpit will be added ;-)
Maybe another test with an additional weight might be useful to avoid collapsing when the model is finished.

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
I have used four layers of 300gsm paper and will add the two outer textures layers. I think the legs will be fine. But of course further test will have to be done.

When I am able to work on the connect to base parts I will have to see how much strain is put on them. I think they would be the crucial part of the construction. They (the empire) must have invented special sci-fi metal if they would have built it this way. The whole leg is only held via a small short part on two very fragile hinges ...

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
"Schnitz", those legs are fixed, right? The model should be sturdy, but you will have to seal it up to keep out moisture, as that will eventually cause the legs to fail. A small wooden dowel, of "Popsicle Stick" buried inside the paper would prevent that. Very clean cuts. This should be a neat gaming piece. :)

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
Thanks for all the great ideas. I am using this layered process for paper purists. Of course it will be easier to glue the texture layer onto Buchbinderpappe if available.

I am designing this model so that you can pose the legs and then glue into a fixed position. Making it movable will be too complicated I think. Most models I have see so far use the default neutral standing position. I hope to be able to assemble in different positions.

I have not thought about sealing the model. I have 10 year old models (buildings) that seem to survive fine but then you don't have any challenging joints there. How would you seal paper? I would be afraid that any spray on or paint on stuff would make the paper warp.

I have analyzed how the connection between legs and main body is, so hopefully during the next days I will be able to continue my tests.

Now I have eaten way to much and need a rest :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Use very light layer of clear or satin finish spray paint. When it has dried, you can then build them up. The satin finish will give a more realistic look. After than, you can paint the model without worrying about weakening the paper itself. Wood is unrealized paper! Balsa wood would be what I would use as it absorbs glues and gets very stiff, done right, you would never see it. Tig Welding Rod of .030" inch diameter would also work, and would make the leg able to be posed. :)

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
Found some time to make a little progress here. Worked the missing link parts and am ready to make a connector box. It looks stable enough. I have to make a posed configuration to test the stability.

hmmmm .... can't upload the image as it is "too large" (but about the same size as the other pic?!?) anyway, here is a link from my site.
DSC06610.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It's looking good! And yes, we are having some issues with our picture service, as you have noticed. IT is working on it. Thanks for showing us the picture! :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
I just did a quick check of what I use and it is 199 gsm and 4 layers = just at 1 mm thick and I add gears and hinges and all sorts of stuff!!.. you are laminating this up to 2-3 mm thick... it isn't going anywhere! A pop-sickle stick is only +- 2.24 mm thick! A good layer of glue spread on the surface and laminated under some pressure..no problem! Soak the stress areas in CV glue if needed..and it would be a snap to add movable joints!;)
Watching as things look great and interesting!:)

Papierschnitzel

Dec 17, 2016
Vienna, Austria
www.papierschnitzel.com
I think I will leave the first version without moveable joints. Version 1.0 will just have the basics :)

So after gluing a simple box to the legs and let it dry I believe it will hold the head just fine. The connection of the last hinges is a little weak. Soaking in glue etc might be a good idea.

I tried to see if I can tilt the assembly onto one leg (and the other leg would raised) but that doesn't work yet. I can get away with having the raised leg foot touch the base but maybe I can think of something to make it stronger.

Anyway, quite happy so far.

DSC06614.jpg