Appalachian WV NG logging?

WVM_Nut

I mean does anyone model any of the WV logging roads in narrow gauge? Ely Thomas, Pardee & Curtin to name a couple.

Drew1125

I haven’t stopped in for a while, so sorry I’m a bit late in replying to this thread…

While I don’t model any WV narrow gauge prototypes, I do model Appalachian settings…I’ve done this in N, HO, & I built a small free lance logging layout in Hon30…

I grew up in KY, & have spent a lot of time in the eastern part of the state, & I’ve done a lot of research on RR history in that part of Appalachia…

Drew1125

I’m at work right now, so the only thing I could find online is this one…sorry, it’s a little fuzzy…

dawg_fork_3.jpg

Drew1125

Copper?

Ooohhh...I think there is the word "coppermine" in the web address...???
It doesn't pertain to the layout... (although there was copper mining done in TN through the 50's - 60's along the old K&A division of the L&N RR...)
My HOn30 layout was strictly a timber operation...At one time I did have plans to add an iron works, but never got around to it...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Drew, nice work!, all the way around!
WVM_nut, it may not be narrow gauge, but Mower lumber, AKA Cass Scenic railway, would be a good prototype to draw inspiration from. There is some impressive scenery there to model, and operate a railroad in. I have a couple of photos of the Greenbrier, where it runs through Cass, that I use as a basis for any river work, this riverbed was one of the projects where the photos were used as reference.
http://www.zealot.com/forum/showthread.php?p=209228#post209228

Bill Nelson

NG in Tn.

My standard gauge Rr is logging, with a little iron action on the side. I get Iron ore and logs from a narrow gauge. My RR is set in south eastern TN. The copper basin down there saw a lot of copper mining. when I went through there in the 70's it looked like a moonscape! very little would grow in the heavy metal laced mine tailings. little is finished on my narrow gauge, but I have this scene, which is above eye level on a five level railroad.

Attachments

• sanders gorge small2-6-0.jpg
    sanders gorge small2-6-0.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 13