Any 3DS Max users out there that could convert a .max file?

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
An al;most impossible task. The proprietary nature of 3DS Max makes this so. Much data would be lost. I can export to 3DS, but cannot read it with any of the CAD software I have and the people I know who have 3DS Max cannot export to any program I could ever afford. If you do work this out, let the world know, or at least us!! Incidentally, with over 4500 polygons, this would be tough to do anything with. :)

BazookaJo

Cheers Zathros - hope all is good BTW.

I hear you re 3DS files - only chance was to find a 3DS user or someone trialing the demo (which failed to tun on my PC). Managed to find a kind soul on papermodellers to convert the files so all good. As I say pretty sure 3DS can export to a few universal formats to some degree, and the fact that someone did it bears that out :D plus it was merely for a reference model - something to retopo from so polygon count was incidental. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I know it can export to about anything. It depends on what it exports as to if it is usable. I'm happy someone helped you out. I wish more people who have that would do it, but thy would be barraged with requests, and unfortunately, many of those requests would not be proper given that they are not a known person such as yourself, and do not give to community, again, such as yourself. You're an Icon in this craft and I imagine anyone who could help you would. Cheers to that person. Keep his/her name close to you and private!! ;)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
I have AutoCad 2002 that can open 3DS files (unfortunately not MAX...Waaaa). I can save to DWG or DXF. I agree with Zathros, really only willing to help those (like yourself Bazooka Jo) that give back. Love your work!

Ron Caudillo