An Idea that really works!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Saw a pix online.. so this was not my idea, but one of the GREAT modelers out there in the world.. If you see this BRAVO! as there was no link and I do not know who you are! But saw your picture!

Available are strands of led tape of 5 meter lengths that are dead cheap! run off 12 volts DC. self stick backing..
The picture when I first looked at it looked like a sheet of glass with an arc cut out and the whole workbench lit up! I realized that he had taken wire molding the plastic kind with a 1/2" channel and bent it into an arc and place the led strip inside the channel over his work surface. I said, "BRILLIANT!" and found a roll of LED Pure White 300MD Flexible Strip Lights 16.4 feet on Amazon for 7$ I bought a roll!!!

As the closest town has nothing ( I checked) I ended up using some adjustable shelf standards for glass shelving, that I had as spare stock. It was 1/4" deep and 5/8" wide and I was able to bend the arc using a 3' cable spool. Bent two of them and cut up some blocks to join them together and use fine wire to suspend them from the ceiling and hover just over the work surface area! Here are some pix...

I-Can-SEE.jpg
NO MORE SHADOWS while cutting out parts!!!! It illuminates the WHOLE surface..and the arc cancels out the shadow from the opposite sides!!! (Pix was actually taken during the day)!

I-Can-SEE-2.jpg
and it is not to bright to BLIND you on the surface like a led lamp tends to do.. Nice even illumination for 7 bucks!!! of course I had everything else.. power supply and something to create the arc is going to add to the cost.. BUT way cheaper than any store bought lamp and WAY BETTER at LIGHTING!!!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
That is a really great idea!! Thanks!! :)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I've seen this before. Great idea! But, as I do my modelling on the dining room table, it would be a little obtrusive. ..... Where to put it when I am not modelling. .....

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
That is a very cool idea! Thank you for sharing this with us!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
My wife filled my enclosed porch, in which I put a new Bay windows, insulated, new ceiling and floor, it was only 8' x 17', with the outside Summer fish tanks, so our Goldfish would have a warm place, and brought all of her plans inside. I can't do diddly in there. I scored a couple of Dentists Lamps, and wanted to try those, I think they will be going over my Lather and Miller. I do like the strips though. I may use them for ambient light in my motorhome. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Have already seen this a few times, even from seperate sources, so this got to mean it is a really good solution!

Built something a little more versatile last year, it's a long lamp with two neutral white LED strips inside. The lamp is adjustable with 6 joints in total, so you can place it nearly everywhere you want. I soldered the LED strip to a switch and then to an USB cable. This way, you can plug it into a USB-port on your PC our use a powerbank from a smartphone to fuel it for a few hours on one charge.

I'm building a second one right now for a friend and started documenting the process and the parts a little better, so there might be some sort of tutorial for this in the future.

Here are some pictures (images hotlinked until picture uploading is available again):

tumblr_oyjbbdhr311vkmuzvo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyjbbdhr311vkmuzvo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_oyjbbdhr311vkmuzvo3_1280.jpg

I can just advise everyone who has problems with lighting on their workspace to look into LED strips. So cheap, so easy to solder/build and light quality is awesome!
I really like this idea. I like that it is adjustable and it can fold-up and stow away when not in use.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I would make sure that it is not too white, as that strains my eyes, anyways. It is a great option. I could see a nice ring or strip hanging chandelier setup working and being completely out of the way. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Have already seen this a few times, even from seperate sources, so this got to mean it is a really good solution!

Built something similar last year, it's a long lamp with two neutral white LED strips inside. The lamp is adjustable with 6 joints in total, so you can place it nearly everywhere you want. I soldered the LED strip to a switch and then to an USB cable. This way, you can plug it into a USB-port on your PC our use a powerbank from a smartphone to fuel it for a few hours on one charge.

I'm building a second one right now for a friend and started documenting the process and the parts a little better, so there might be some sort of tutorial for this in the future.

Here are some pictures (images hotlinked until picture uploading is available again):

I can just advise everyone who has problems with lighting on their workspace to look into LED strips. So cheap, so easy to solder/build and light quality is awesome!

Very nice and professional looking. You could sell these easily! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
We used to have those paper cutters, the large flat steel table with that super sharp sturdy blade attached. You could lob a hand off with one of those. You could probably find one of those used rather cheaply. That would make piece meal of any cardboard, and they are easy to sharpen with a file. I've seen Guillotine Paper Cutters for around $30 dollars, that will cut A4 size paper. Some more, some less. :)

You have to make sure the LED strips could be controlled with a Potentiometer. Some can't without some circuitry involved. The forward current used to be a minimum of 11.3 Volts, but it's really the milli-amps that turn it on. Their are online calculators,, and you have to decide if you are going series, or parallel, or series-parallel. Ohm's Law will get you what you need, the spec of the lighting strips (how much they draw, etc.) will provide the rest. Voltage remains the same in parallel, and drops in series. :)

Gandolf50

Staff member
I've seen this before. Great idea! But, as I do my modelling on the dining room table, it would be a little obtrusive. ..... Where to put it when I am not modelling. .....

;)add pulleys and pull it up to the ceiling..It will work from a dimmer switch so those romantic dinners are not going to be disturbed! ;):)

Gandolf50

Staff member
It will also work from a battery and solar panel for those getting off the grid... whole bunch of light for only initial investment which pays for itself after the first few months!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
As battery power progresses, off the grid, or assisted off the grid, to lower that monthly bill will not only become feasible, but a "no Brainer". I've converted my motorhome to all LED, when completely off the grid, the Deep Cycle battery lasts long enough that I do not sense any loss of power after quite a few days. The Water pump draws the most power, but that it intermittent. The stove and furnace are propane. :)