Alternative (EASY!) Method to plastering scenery (Pics!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwmurrayjr

Alex,

Great idea. Thanks!

I think that this will work especially well for some smaller hard-to-reach places that I have. Around bridges that I've already installed, for example.

I used the more conventional method to apply most of my hardshell and it's easy to "plant" trees by punching a hole with an awl.

Also, you can attach plaster rocks with plaster "butter" or apply them from the mold while wet. It helps to first wet the plaster in both cases.

Thanks,

Arlaghan

Donna,

jwmurrayjr's idea about "plaster butter" is the method I plan to use, but you'll find it helps if you press your rock casting into the surface while it's still "soft" so it takes the shape more-or-less. Don't leave it there too long, as the plaster will stick to the casting and when you do lift if off later (if you plan to) then it will tear up the paper towel beneath it.

-Alex

jon-monon

Arlaghan, Thanks for writing that up!

My first layout, that was significant enough to have mountains, was a 4 X 8 in the corner of my parents basement. I tossed balls of newspaper into a pile in the corner, about twice as high as the intended mountain. Then I dipped paper towels in a tub of plaster and draped them over the newspaper. When it dried, I pulled out the balls of paper and had a nice, hard, hollow mountain and tunnel. :D :D :D

Bikerdad

A crazy? enhancement...

Just read the tutorial, sounds great. A suggestion for possibly improving this method would be to use a regular floUr (ed: not floWEr) sifter rather than a shaker. Mind you, I'm just floating the idea here, but if it works, you'd get a quicker and more even distribution of the dry plaster.

Just make sure you don't confuse the plaster with the flour next time you dust a pie crust before baking... :eek:

jawatkins

Great idea. While I still use plaster cloth, I have done the exact thing (I used hydrocal), sprinkled a dry mixture over the plaster cloth go give it either a smoother texture or a rougher texture. Only I used a teaspoon and sprinkled it on and sprayed it with water and using latex gloves, used my fingers to mold it the way I wanted it. But, you are right in that it works great. And your method is a more cost effective method than plaster cloth.

Great problem solving!

aartwmich

:D :D LMAO :D :D
That's a GREAT story!
:D :D LMAO :D :D

Actually, I think I WAS kinda close....some female yelling at you about the misappropriation of a household item.....LOL ;) :D

xristos

Great idea.... just tried it out on some scrap foam i had lying around. Cannot wait tll it dries for the final outcome.

Russ Bellinis

It looks like a great idea, but I have a question. How often do you have to refill the salt shaker? Would it work better if you made a "salt shaker" out of a bigger container?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
This thread was moved to The Academy 09 Nov 2006. Some posts may have been edited for clarity.

The thread is now locked. If you have any questions about the information presented here, please post them in General Talk with a link to this thread.

Andrew
'The Academy' Moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.