About cutting machines

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Hello friends,

does anyone have experience with cutting thick card (1mm and 2mm for internal frame parts of the model) with cameo?

daishi

does anyone have experience with cutting thick card (1mm and 2mm for internal frame parts of the model) with cameo?

Never tried it. I've had trouble getting it set for the 160gms paper I usually use so I didn't really experiment with it afterward.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I think the gears would strip out, or brake a tooth eventually. It's the modulus of the paper which really fights back, and the cutting mechanism would break or strip something eventually. These machines just aren't that heavily built. They do work good with the Carbide Tip and thin tin (very thin) like in those metal model kits. Tin is hard and just cuts easily compared to paper that thick. They can cut tin easily, but you better load up on carbide blade tips, or have a grinding wheel that will sharpen Carbide tip. :)

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Cutting thick.. is doable...But you need it to do a double cut, you basically set it for the first cut at half the distance, add a pause to the cut routine, reset the blade to do the second cut, and hit resume. It is the blade that you need ( Cameo extra depth blade )

Gears? We can do gears! Multi cut a set of one, and afterward...glue them in a stack! Add a good soaking in super-Glue...tada!

Gandolf50

Staff member
The stacked idea with glue and maybe a border hiding the stacking sounds like a good idea to me.
Yes...BUT>>>You will have to reconstruct the gear pattern for the extra thickness of the strip, ( most gears are of high quality and the cuts are exceptional, most of the ones I make the cut line is around .002 mm thick or in other words, you can't see it on screen) otherwise the gear is apt to stick and bind...after the super-glue a bit of spray paint or Brush will do the trick...or just leave it...they are nice to look at with the layers and the inner layers go darker with the glue on it!

Gandolf50

Staff member
Never tried it. I've had trouble getting it set for the 160gms paper I usually use so I didn't really experiment with it afterward.
Blade Number - This setting indicates the amount of blade exposed from the blade tip in 0.1 mm increments. The higher the number, the more blade that will be exposed, and therefore the deeper your cut will be.

So using a Black-Ratchet Blade which cuts up to 1mm, Card at 260gsm, = somewhere in the range of .23mm so you would set the blade to .3mm deep or Number 3 on the blade. Each blade is a bit different and the auto Blade in Camer 3, is adjusted by a cut file for Material ie: Card Stock