A single stall engine house

steamhead

Hi,
Great model!! Just looking at it makes my day!! Good work!!
I 've been thinking of building me a roundhouse for my layout since the commercially available ones just don't quite suit my taste. I'm looking to match the style of the Muir Models single stall engine house which I built a while ago. Where can I find the materials for this project?? I would be needing clapboard siding, beams of different sizes, cast metal (or plastic??) windows, doors, etc. I also need suitable hinges for that engine house, since the ones that came with the kit are really too far off-scale--they scale up to about 4" thick!!
Thanks for any input you may have.
Gus.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Gus, I use my bandsaw to cut materials. Usually a piece of pine or some white wood. I also use cardboard. I know you can get stryrene clapboard siding, doors and windows at your hobby shop. I just make my own. For hinges I sandwich a strip of cloth in the door and the frame. You can also use and cut to size, hinges used by RC model aeroplane builders. Once again, sold at hobby shops.

Matthyro

The engine house is now located on the Georgetown Sub. I painted it using those craft acrylic paints.

Attachments

• eh8.jpg
    eh8.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 139
  • eh9.jpg
    eh9.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 142

TrainClown

A fine looking construction but isn't it going to make the other engineers jealous? ;)

Watch out for that wood construction! You'll want to give up card stock altogether.

(And what's wrong with that?? :D )

TrainClown

rcline

OK Robin, I have been sitting back and slowly watching the progress as you went along.
Nice Job there!!! Now get busy because I see other "engines" getting jealous!
and I see one just waiting to get a chance to sneak in!

Randy

Matthyro

Thanks folks. There ia always something else to make but here on the Georgetown Sub, locos will just have to wait their turn. Next I will do some mock-up industries so I can get to do some switching. When Jimmy B arrives for a visit there will be these industries he can help me build.

spitfire

Another beauty Robin!!!! That interior framing really looks great - as does the whole thing. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Val

steamhead

Hi Robin,

Good looking engine house!! Looking through a Micro-Mark catalog I found a world of wood items - everything one could need for scratchbuilding!! Now I just gotta figure out what I'll be needing.
As to the hinges - I do have R/C hinges left over from when i used to fly. Gonna try them out ( in my R/C days I busted close to 50 planes!!!- so I got a few items laying around..).
Keep up the good work!!!
Gus.

Matthyro

Thanks Val and Gus. I was into RC planes big time too Gus and still have a couple around but haven't flown anything for a few years now. I have used nylon pushrods for switches and they work great

galt904

Robin, are you done working on your layout for the summer? I miss your inspiring scratchbuilding projects. :cry:

Matthyro

Hi galt904. At the moment I am in Mission BC to see our brand new grandson and to help with looking after our 3 1/2 year old grandaughter while mom and dad are busy with the new one. Will return home in early June then besides gardening, may get back to my N gauge layout. The remaining buildings for the Georgtown Sub will be industry mock ups until I get into building some more detailed ones. Hopefully Jimmy (jimmybeersa) will be here for a visit and will help me.

galt904

Congrats on the grandkid.
smile.gif
Not a bad time of year to be in "God's country" either.

Are you ever planning on having open house for your layout? I wouldn't mind seeing some of the layouts in the GTA, there is some excellent talent there. :thumb:

belg

steamhead said:
Hi Robin,

Good looking engine house!! Looking through a Micro-Mark catalog I found a world of wood items - everything one could need for scratchbuilding!! Now I just gotta figure out what I'll be needing.
As to the hinges - I do have R/C hinges left over from when i used to fly. Gonna try them out ( in my R/C days I busted close to 50 planes!!!- so I got a few items laying around..).
Keep up the good work!!!
Gus.

Gus with that record I hope your not a pilot for a living!!! :D Also although I love some of the stuff that MicroMark puts out do a little shopping because their prices are a little higher then some other online shops, if you need some referals just ask as I use several different ones and would be glad to help,Pat

steamhead

Hi Pat,
Actually, although not a commercial pilot, I do have a private pilot's license. Whatsmore, it's easier to fly "Full-Scale" than radio control planes! Once I got the hang of RC, I became quite profficient, winning a national Championship in FAI Aerobatics. Those were the days when I could see well, and my reactions were much quicker than now. HO trains are a little more in keeping with my pace nowadays.
As to the wood suppliers, I'd be more than happy to know of alternate sources. MM is a little pricey!
Thanks for your help.
Gus.:thumb: