A single stall engine house

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I wasn't going to post step by step photos of this structure as Mikey and I had done so previously, but I am using wood for this building and am building it like a model airplane that I built dozens of when I was into flying them. The procedure is similar in that I drew a wall plan on paper, covered it with waxed paper the fastened the beams to the wax paper with strips of scotch tape. The other cross pieces are glued in place so it looks like this. It is easy to make multiple copies of a stucture this way. Hope this isn't too repetitious

Attachments

• eh1.jpg
    eh1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 377

Matthyro

The framing is complete and is ready for planking.

Attachments

• eh2.jpg
    eh2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 383

spitfire

Wow, that's a great shot in itself Robin! It would be neat to have something like that on a layout, with lots of workers swarming around.

Val

Matthyro

I would like to do that Val but unfortunately I don't have any HO LPBs and N ones would make this like Lilliput.

Will_annand

Robin, you can use N Scale LPB, just have the soundtrack from the "Wizard of Oz" playing.

"We represent the Lollipop Guild"

Matthyro

The walls have been planked with 2x8s. Now just doors and roof to be done.

Attachments

• eh3.jpg
    eh3.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 376

Matthyro

Thanks IG. Got the doors made. The two main ones and the little backdoor.

Attachments

• eh4.jpg
    eh4.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 368
  • eh5.jpg
    eh5.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 308

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Looks great Robin.... One question - why is the door at the rear elevated? Just curious... ;)

Andrew

Matthyro

Thanks Gary and Andrew for you kind words. Andrew, the eventual flooring in the shed will be at the level of the track so the door had to be at the same level I hope.

Drew1125

You're every bit as proficient in HO as you are in N scale Robin!

Beautiful work, my friend!
:thumb: :cool: :cool: :thumb:

Matthyro

Thanks Will and Drew. Actually it is a little easier to build in HO.
The roof has been added. It is crealboard and the first photo shows that I put the grey side indside and the coloured side outside. This is so I don't have to paint the inside as the rafters would be in the way.
The second photo shows that I glued strips of paper to the roof with strips of cardstock as dividers. I made the smoke jacks by winding strips of paper around a piece of dowel adding glue as I went.

Attachments

• eh7.jpg
    eh7.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 136
  • eh6.jpg
    eh6.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 148

galt904

Excellent work Robin! :)

Are those coffee can lid windows you used (similar to the station)?

Looking forward to more "in context" photos when you plant this building on your layout, especially some more "entire layout" photos.

Keep up the fine work, you're definitely an inspiration. :)

Robin ...I see I am going to have some modeling to do when I get to Georgetown
I like the idea of getting away from a carboard shell ,as those internal woodwork beams sure look like the real thing.. exposing some of the internal frame where the outside cladding has weathered away give a very realistic view, saw this on a group of buidings that are sold by one of those high priced wooden kits