2-8-2 Light Mikado

roryglasgow

As we were driving home from Missouri this week, we saw this 2-8-2 light Mikado on display in a small park in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. It was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in May 1927 (builder's #60006), and was originally owned by the Dierks Lumber & Coal Company.

Attachments

• 227Front.jpg
    227Front.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 128

roryglasgow

The cab was blocked off, but I was able to stick my camera up there and get this shot:

Attachments

• 227Cab.jpg
    227Cab.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 126

CarlFidy

Taking the scenic route?

Just curious what route you took from Missouri to Texas to go via Broken Bow?

I see that loco every Thursday, as I run my magazine route thru SE Oklahoma and over to SW Arkansas. There are a couple other steam locos on display in that area. A 0-4-0T in Hugo in front of the Frisco depot, and another Dierks 2-8-2(?) on top of a "mountain" at Wilhelmina State Park(about 15 miles west of Mena, Arkansas).

roryglasgow

Carl,

We took 65 south out of Branson, MO to 412 in northern Arkansas. Then 412 to 59 near Siloam Springs, got onto 259 and took that all the way into Texas. We usually take I-44 out of Missouri (my mom actually lives in Ava, but we met her in Branson this time) to 69, then stay on 75 to I-45.

It probably took a little longer, but it was much prettier, and we avoided Dallas. We got caught in construction south of Corsicana, TX on I-45 and heavy traffic in Dallas on the way up there, which is what prompted us to try this route.

I got confused at Siloam Springs, though, and ended up taking Arkansas state highway 59 instead of U.S. 59. It took me a few minutes before I realized that we were on the wrong 59!

If I find myself in that area again, I'll seek out those other locomotives. Thanks for the info!