1924 Nuhdin Special...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaygetz

Browsing thru my stash of parts I came across one of those Model Power hearses with the too long wheel base in less than servicable condition. On closer examination I realized that underneath lay a reasonable representation of a 1924 Nuhdin Special, a Model T-like vehicle that passed into obscurity during the Great Depression.

Attachments

• truckstart.jpg
    truckstart.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 441

shaygetz

While cutting the hearse body off of the frame, I thoroughly crushed it. No loss as I had another in the box.

Attachments

• truckcut.jpg
    truckcut.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 445

shaygetz

When I destroyed the original, the radiator casting went with it. That left me having to make one from scratch.

Attachments

• truckrad.jpg
    truckrad.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 417

shaygetz

I trimmed the styrene frame of the radiator. Then, to reduce the wheelbase to a more reasonable length, I mounted the rear axle just ahead of the indentation the manufacturer provided.

Attachments

• truckradaxle.jpg
    truckradaxle.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 408

shaygetz

I continued modifying the undercarriage by shortening the fenders and drive train. Shown are the original parts for comparison.

Attachments

• truckunder.jpg
    truckunder.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 431

shaygetz

I trmmed the side rails to a more respectable angle. Then I fitted a back to the cab and allowed it to dry prior to trimming.

Attachments

• truckbed.jpg
    truckbed.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 420

shaygetz

Lights were made from appropriately sized sprue material. From the front...

Attachments

• truck34f.jpg
    truck34f.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 393

shaygetz

The Nuhdin Specials were known for their brutish design in a small truck. The rear wheels were often tandemed, the original "duallys". On to the paintshop...

Attachments

• truckprepaint.jpg
    truckprepaint.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 412

shaygetz

thank you, guys. I do appreciate the comments. One of the joys I get out of the hobby is rescuing scrap box parts and making plausible models out of them and all for peanuts. Here it is, fresh from the paint shop...

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 399

shaygetz

...and the front. Don't ask where that whisker came from. Musta hit the wrong button in MS Paint :eek:ops: Nope, no hemi, just calories and TV... :)

Attachments

• truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 320

shaygetz

TrainClown said:
Sweet model there. I love those old C cabs. (it is considered a C cab isn't it?) Well, open cab...........anyway. :)
TrainClown ;)

Don't know about the C cab part, we have a similar truck in our local WalMart being used for a beer display. Obviously very well cared for. May be an idea for those who model the modern scene, too

Thanks again for the comments, guys. I do remember N scalers having a similar model, Jim. Gotta see your pics when finished.

Attachments

• Dtruck.jpg
    Dtruck.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 276
Status
Not open for further replies.