1:21 scale Millennium Falcon (hopefully)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Foam board will bend after a while. I would try Luan, or at Least Balsa wood, covered with either epoxy or clear coat, so it doesn't absorb moisture. It really depends where you put the parts to prevent warping over time that is important, and determines why kind of material you could use. Aluminum flashing on the outside of the cockpit, with the paper template glued over it. Now that would never warp. ;)

Reactions: xaero892

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Good advice @zathros, you seem to know what you're talking about.

@Revell-Fan also mentioned plywood which is basically what luan is.

I'm going to take both your advice and try doing the main internal structure from luan and then mix foamboard in for stability and to help it keep it's shape.

Thanks. :bowdown:

Reactions: bigpetr

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
You might be interested to know about the DeAgostini Millennium Falcon, if you haven't already heard about it. It's a subscription model that makes a studio scale replica of the 32" shooting miniature. I'm subscribed to this kit, and I can tell you it's a fantastic resource for replicating the Falcon, being a white light scanned copy of the original filming miniature. :) You can find pictures of the parts and closeups of them online, and since they're on parts trees, it'll be easy to see their details. Here are a couple of pics; I don't want to flood the thread with pictures of all 100 issues, heh:

http://forum.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BTMF_090_01-parts.jpg

http://forum.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/BTMF_099_01-parts.jpg

Here's the forum for the kit, and one of the pages showing how it's made:

http://forum.buildmillenniumfalcon.com/forums/topic/the-millennium-falcon-build-diary-issue-97/

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You could just put a link to the pics, which is what you essentially have done, but please only putone, as we want people to upload pictures to the forum due to the changes with the picture hosting websites. Thanks. Good references by the way. Nice to see you posting. :)

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Ah, sorry about that, Zathros. I'll try to remember next time. :)

I may be on here more often once my plastic modeling phase evolves back to paper modeling. :p For now though, too much money to be had building plastic ships for others, so I'll be saving paper models for my Star Wars RPG, heheh.

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Ok, update time... Not much has been happening recently as I have a short term project to work on. There is a comic-con in my city at the end of the month and I've been asked to display my models in the exhibition hall and also to run a card modelling workshop for a couple of hours.

I think it'll be a good chance to introduce others to this great hobby.

All other projects are on hold while I get myself organised, unless I have some major inspiration. :)

starbuck

Aug 15, 2013
Austria - Carinthia
OMG, this is goona be a real great ship.
Related to Jedipedia the Falcon is 34,75 meters. This means your model in the scale of 1:21 must have a lenght of ....:bulgeeye::surprise:
Unbelievably.
Watching closely your progress.

Reactions: xaero892