1:18 BSG Snow Ram

ASC Mclaren

I have started it, my first BSG Ram. Many thanks to Revell Fan for his excellent design! I am planning to build the vehicle that is stuck in the memory of a starry eyed 7 year old watching "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" in glorious low definition with stunning mono sound. That memory distilled for like 30 some years in a brain that served in the 6th Arctic Light Infantry Division. So, my plan is white and "militarized". Oh, I am building an interior. There may be LEDs.

I started last night, with part 34, which did not build up square, so no picture of my failure. That said, pictures (Of success) are forthcoming.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
YES! YES! YES!

7 years? Ha, I saw the ep when I was 6! :twisted:

(Okay, it was the premiere on Dutch television in 1983, but anyway..! :mrgreen: )

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I was 10 when BSG was first released. I remember watching EVERY episode with my mother. I think that my mother had the "HOTS" for Lorne Greene.

I am really looking forward to seeing your build of the Snowram.

GOOD LUCK with it!!!

F131

F131
I have started it, my first BSG Ram. Many thanks to Revell Fan for his excellent design! I am planning to build the vehicle that is stuck in the memory of a starry eyed 7 year old watching "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" in glorious low definition with stunning mono sound. That memory distilled for like 30 some years in a brain that served in the 6th Arctic Light Infantry Division. So, my plan is white and "militarized". Oh, I am building an interior. There may be LEDs.

I started last night, with part 34, which did not build up square, so no picture of my failure. That said, pictures (Of success) are forthcoming.

Looks like we are all about the same age:eek:. I found out a couple of years ago the "Gun on Ice Planet Zero" was one of the main reasons George Lucas sued BSG (aside from losing his main effect guy, John Dkystra) because the storyline was going to be too similar to Empire Strikes Back, Hoth location and the ion cannon scene. Fun "useless" trivia. I look forward to seeing your work.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
F131, you are correct. :thumb:

Actually "Gun" was the second episode to be produced after the pilot "Saga of a Star World" and was seen as a mix of "Guns of Navarone" and "Dirty Dozen". In the original script of "Saga" Cassiopeia is killed on Carillon and Serina dies because she was exposed to the toxic radiation which destroyed the molecular structure of the food in the fleet. This explains why both are missing in that episode.

John Dykstra was very upset because of Universal's decision to make Galactica a weekly show. He knew that his team would never have been able to meet the deadlines to deliver enough VFX sequences. When he learned that the studio was turning "Saga" into a theatrical movie he left the show. Main reason for this was that the VFX had been designed specifically for the small screen. Many details were over-emphasized (most notably the stars shaped as white blobs) and there were numerous printing errors (chasing mattes, ghost images, Vipers chasing their engines and so on). In his opinion all those issues wouldn't be noticed on TV but would totally ruin a theatrical performance. This took place at the end of "Gun, Part 1" which marked the end of the Apogee participation. :cry:

When ILM prepared shooting the VFX shots for "Empire" their house was literally flooded with people from all studios taking pictures and even copying blueprints of the optical printers. When George Lucas found that out he immediately ordered to close the doors. However, this order came too late because Universal had already collected enough data for rigging up their own VFX department, Universal Hartland. When Dykstra left Hartland took over and produced the effects for the subsequent episodes of BSG, Gal1980 and Buck Rogers. :cool:

When Lucas saw that the camera used for shooting BSG VXF was a virtual clone of the Dykstraflex he got very angry and sued Universal. Universal in turn sued Lucas because R2-D2 and R5-D4 were virtual clones of Huey, Lewie and Duey from Universal's "Silent Running". :twisted:

My favourite moments are the forced landings (Dykstra at his finest) and the Cylons in the snow (always wondered why they didn't freeze).

The avalanche seen in "Gun, Part 2" was no stock footage: The VFX department built a complete mountain and used tons of artificial snow. When the avalanche was filmed at high speed the chief model maker hit the ground plate of the mountain with a hammer which caused the "snow" to come down.

So, class dismissed. And now, show us your Ram, please! :mrgreen:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was 10 when BSG was first released. I remember watching EVERY episode with my mother. I think that my mother had the "HOTS" for Lorne Greene.

I am really looking forward to seeing your build of the Snowram.

GOOD LUCK with it!!!
Speaking of Lorne Greene: What about making a Ponderosa ranch when we have finished the Hangar Bay? :cool:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Speaking of Lorne Greene: What about making a Ponderosa ranch when we have finished the Hangar Bay? :cool:

Sounds good to me, but I want to start on the Viper project next.

By the way, thank you for sharing that tidbit of information about the war between Lucas and BSG. It explanes quite a bit.

ASC Mclaren

Sounds good to me, but I want to start on the Viper project next.

By the way, thank you for sharing that tidbit of information about the war between Lucas and BSG. It explanes quite a bit.

Viper?????? TOS VIPER???? OH PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! This is a grown man begging!!!!

trt

Can't see anything on the link. It opens a page of stars and that's all? I'd like to see this cat.

I'd have been 9 when it came out and I saw the book in my dad's attic a while back. Battlestar Glactica 2: The Cylon death machine. I always though Guns of Navarone

Where the build then?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Can't see anything on the link. It opens a page of stars and that's all? I'd like to see this cat.

I'd have been 9 when it came out and I saw the book in my dad's attic a while back. Battlestar Glactica 2: The Cylon death machine. I always though Guns of Navarone

Where the build then?
Try another browser. It could also be a firewall issue, happened to me once.

ASC Mclaren

Trt, I have one picture, part 34a. and then a four hour struggle with my printer (damn you HP). I will resume building this evening, after work.

ASC Mclaren

Measure twice, cut once; measure once, swear twice. So this time I was so very careful, and now I have a square part :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2594.jpg
    IMG_2594.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2595.jpg
    IMG_2595.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2591.jpg
    IMG_2591.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 12

ASC Mclaren

Built two road wheels last night, so unless there are any objections I will not post wheel build pics, instead I will drive on and post pics once the wheels are attached. I will document the track build.

ASC Mclaren

Well, after a marathon building day, all of the road wheels and both drive wheels are done! I have half of the road wheels attached to the chassis. I should have tread build pictures very soon.