1/144th HG Iron Blooded Orphans Mobil Suit Gundam By Ban Dai

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Picked these up at Hobby Lobby while the wife was looking at Christmas stuff.

The Gundam is a High Grade 1/144th scale Barbatos Lupus, from the Iron Blooded Orphans line. the marker are the Mr. Hobby Basic Gundammarker set.
20211120_165126.jpg

micahrogers

Staff member
The markers are, from left to right, GM22 Gumetallic, GM11 White, GM08 Yellow, GM07 Red, GM06 Blue, and GM21 Gray Liner.
20211121_111700.jpg

Instructions full color, front and back fold.
20211121_111853.jpg

Color inside fold.
20211121_111906.jpg

And Greyscale construction steps.
20211121_111923.jpg

Two bags of sprues, and one sheet of metallic stickers.
20211121_112214.jpg

micahrogers

Staff member
Step 1, part 1 complete...

20211121_131949.jpg
The grey part I applied the "Gunmetallic" marker too, the white part I did with the "White" marker.
You can see the metallic sheen from the marker.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
IT looks like you are off to a great start!!!
I am looking forward to seeing how this will turn out!

micahrogers

Staff member
Hands are working pretty good right now, and I finished the Viper Car by @Revell-Fan, so back to this
Where I left off, building the body core section first.
20220223_112558.jpg

Start the waist bend joint, colored with the Gundam markers.
20220223_113813.jpg

The waist pivot added to the core.
20220223_113956.jpg

And secured by the back piece.
20220223_114246.jpg

I am experimenting with the Gundam Markers as I build... So far I've learned that the alcohol markers dissolve each other, Dohhh.
the set only has one Ink marker, but the alcohol markers dissolve the ink marker too.

micahrogers

Staff member
Sweet! The Master is back at work!
yes, but fortunately, I get to put the project back on hold and pack every thing up for the trip to Georgia, My other son hurt his knee, and his wife asked if we could come home and help her. So we are gonna pack up and head home next week. We'll be taking my sons car, and the grandbaby with us.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
The more detailed the plastic model, the more sprues for plastic to flow through, which makes removal from the tree very finicky, and you have to be consistent. I have a pair of wire cutters I purchased from a garage sale, they must be 40 years old, but the cut through plastic perfectly, the tip is very sharp, but narrow. I use them to cut off the part and machinists files, 1000 grit sand paper, to smooth out the bit of sprue or flashing (if it's an old mold) to finalize the part before painting, it it needs to. Lots of work, just taking and dressing the parts on this model. :)

Awry_Chaos

OKB-4155
yes, but fortunately, I get to put the project back on hold and pack every thing up for the trip to Georgia, My other son hurt his knee, and his wife asked if we could come home and help her. So we are gonna pack up and head home next week. We'll be taking my sons car, and the grandbaby with us.
I hope you have a nice trip back to Georgia and have fun with the grandbaby! It will be quite the adventure!

micahrogers

Staff member
Back at it,
and the head starts with the core, 3 parts, three different colors of plastic, from 2 different sprues. I love how Bandai can injection mold several different colors, even clears, on the same sprue.
20220313_170852.jpg

And details added with GM03 Gundam marker.
20220313_171446.jpg

Both of these pics were taken at 4.5X zoom.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I am glad to see that you are back at your work station, working on your projects again!!!

micahrogers

Staff member
The more detailed the plastic model, the more sprues for plastic to flow through, which makes removal from the tree very finicky, and you have to be consistent. I have a pair of wire cutters I purchased from a garage sale, they must be 40 years old, but the cut through plastic perfectly, the tip is very sharp, but narrow. I use them to cut off the part and machinists files, 1000 grit sand paper, to smooth out the bit of sprue or flashing (if it's an old mold) to finalize the part before painting, it it needs to. Lots of work, just taking and dressing the parts on this model. :)
I use Xuron Side cutters for plastic.
20220313_175812.jpg

Not cheap, but last a long time, as long as I can keep the wife away from them.
The jaws are double ground, and honed before shipping. This pair, has been used to cut floral wire, and therefore has a tiny imperfection in the very end at the "beak".

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Thise look exactly like the cutters I have, I think they are. Great snips!! :)