The Candy Witch or: "Witch" + "Papercraft" = "Witchcraft" ;-)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hello, dear vampires, monsters and papercrafters,

tonight I would like to follow me on another journey into the world of the unknown. The world of the supernatural, the realm of the witches! What? Wait??? Witches??? Well...

Like every year I'd like to scare my workmates with a little Halloween gift. This year things evolved a bit differently and things got a bit out of hand due to an unexpected break. I was in the midst of my latest project (the secret project I mentioned in the OTT thread) when I got caught by a nasty case of cough, supposedly caused by a combination of glue fumes, cold fall air and spores accumulated under falling leaves in the streets. That completely spoiled my schedule so that I was seriously considering cancelling this year's Halloween gift show. However, when I felt better I decided to do it anyway - even if it meant to be somewhat smaller than in the years before. I had to radically reduce the number of presents in order to distribute them in time but with the combined help of my mother as cutting and gluing aide everything proceeded as planned. Well, to be honest, the original plan did not work out very well but led to a new plan which was even better than the first one. Let me show you. :)

Plan A was a series of witch hats filled with sweets. I found a very nice template in a Halloween set from Canon. I extracted the hat template and enlarged it so that each part fit on one page.

DSCF2583.jpg

DSCF2575.jpg

DSCF2576.jpg

However, the first test assembly showed that the hat was much too small to contain a "healthy" amount of sweets!

That was quite a dilemma. The hat would need to have the size of a school cone to be big enough. So I put the prototype away and resumed work on the other secret project.

DSCF2577.jpg

By accident the hat was left on a sweet box. We were thinking and thinking until we found out that the answer to the problem was directly in front of us: If we put the sweets into a separate container which was bigger than the cone everything would work out fine.

Fortunately we had collected some jam glasses and checked their size:

DSCF2580.jpg

DSCF2581.jpg

They fit like a glove! And they were big enough to store enough sweets. Plan B was in full swing!

However, a simple glass was not very exciting. It had to be decorated accordingly. And again sergeant Happenstance came to the rescue. The haunting image of a witch mask on the "big river shop" popped up which would fit perfectly on the glassand to add to the mood.

DSCF2599.jpg

DSCF2600.jpg

I rescaled it a bit and stretched it horizontally so that the face did not look squished on the curved surface and attached it to the glass. The lids were laminated with some black card to have a nice and even surface. Some leftover black silk paper was used to disguise the remaining clean areas of the glass.

DSCF2585.jpg

DSCF2586.jpg

The paper was folded several times and then cut in to create some stripes.

DSCF2587.jpg

DSCF2588.jpg

The stripes were pushed over some scissors to curl them lightly.

DSCF2589.jpg

DSCF2590.jpg

Then they were attached to the lid:

DSCF2591.jpg

DSCF2592.jpg

Last edited:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you! :)

With the final plan set it was time to trace the pattern for the hat onto some sturdy black card.

DSCF2593.jpg

DSCF2594.jpg

DSCF2595.jpg

Cutting the parts out was very straight-forward.

DSCF2596.jpg

Apparently you can use them to make a simple eagle owl, too:

DSCF2597.jpg

:cool: :biggrin:

DSCF2625.jpg

Some water was used to roll up the cones.

DSCF2626.jpg

DSCF2627.jpg

DSCF2629.jpg

The assembled hats could double for a nice drinking horn or a mic:

DSCF2631.jpg

We wanted to add a green ribbon around the hat. This proved to be impractical because the ribbon would not wrap around the cone nicely. So I went back to the drawing board and used the cone pattern to create a bow-shaped ribbon template. Leftover black card was used to make a clasp which was laminated to gold paper.

DSCF2633.jpg

DSCF2645.jpg

DSCF2646.jpg

The back was decorated with a felt pumpkin to add some colour.

DSCF2647.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
IMG_20231031_181308.jpg

BACK TO TOPIC!!!

:noteeth:

The faces were attached using glue dots. With the "hair" attached a card stripe was glued around the lid to conceal and imperfections and to fasten the hair:

DSCF2606.jpg

DSCF2607.jpg

The hair was trimmed to shape a bit:

DSCF2648.jpg

Hats on! :)

DSCF2651.jpg

DSCF2652.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg

DSCF2654.jpg

Time to fill her up! :)

DSCF2655.jpg

We prepared one plate for each jar. This helped tremendously to make sure that each jar was filled equally. On previous Halloweens we put the sweets directly on the table witch which regularly caused some confusion because the piles would be so close together that it could not be seen where the one pile ended and the next one started.

Well then. Fllowing the present of last year I wanted to add some nice spooky effect. So a glow-in-the-dark spider was attached to the lid with a glue dot.

DSCF2656.jpg

DSCF2657.jpg

DSCF2660.jpg

DSCF2662.jpg

DSCF2664.jpg

DSCF2666.jpg

DSCF2668.jpg

The hat hid the spider very well. You have to know that one of my colleagues is VERY afraid of spiders..! :cool:

DSCF2673.jpg

Because of this year's EXTREMELY limited edition of 10 pieces (the previous years got 13 - 16) everything - including the hats! - fitted in one big basket.

Time was so scarce because the ETA of the secret project was Halloween and I did not want to interfere with that special occasion. So the gifts went off one day early. If it hadn't been for this other special project I would have made more of them. Next year will be different (hopefully ;) ).

IMG_20231030_103917.jpg

At work the candy witches unfolded their true terror. When I distributed them I told everyone not to lift up the hat. Not before my colleague with the arachnophobia had lifted her hat first. AND WHEN SHE DID - !!!

:animated:

Well, let me tell you that she survived. :biggrin:

In the end she found that glowing spider pretty cute. I suppose I would have triggered a different reaction if I had put a live spider under the hat. :sticktongue:

The witches were a big success. One day later another colleague told me that she had immediately taken the sweets out and put an LED light chain inside. The hat went to her little daughter who would wear it the whole day! :)

So that's all for the moment. I hope you too had a great time of scary and sweet encounters! HAPPY HALLOWEEN! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Addendum:

A pair of marshellow mice was part of the filling. However, when I tok them out of the packaging most of them were stuck together like this:

DSCF2678.JPG

DSCF2679.JPG

I have absolutely no idea what naughty things they were doing..!

:animated:

BTW, in the bottom right corner of the last image you can see the first glimpse of the secret project. Stay tuned! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
You are incredibly industrious. Make sure you take some of that energy and set yourself up for your senior years. You may find that people such as yourself are far and few between. ;)

• Love
Reactions: Revell-Fan