R2-D2: 12” Action Figure Size

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
Having had a couple of builds under my belt I decided to go all out when I found a decent sized R2-D2 papercraft template. I’ve always focused on building toys, not models, since my childhood so I did quite a bit of greebling on this. The end build turned out to be about the size of the original Kenner R2-D2 action figure of the 70’s. I embellished upon the original template going for extra detail. For his dome I bought some shiny silver cardboard from the hobby store (Michaels here in Canada). I also put small curved pieces of clear plastic inside his lenses and used some of the silver card to make some of the body details 3D.

Attachments

• IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2285.jpeg
    IMG_2285.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
I also built three retractable arms: a data interface arm (not for use with electrical sockets), a rotating saw for escaping Ewok nets and a pincer arm for retrieving flashlights from pesky tiny green Jedi Masters.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpeg
    IMG_2289.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2288.jpeg
    IMG_2288.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2287.jpeg
    IMG_2287.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2286.jpeg
    IMG_2286.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
That looks AMAZING!!! Did you use Shunichi's kit? I'm making an R5 dome for that one. ;) How did you make the hinges for the doors?

Reactions: lfriesen

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That is an ABSOLUTE WORK OF ART!!!
The level of detail that you have put into this, has set the bar EXTREMELY HIGH! I wish that you could have posted a build thread of this project! I think that it would have been quite an enjoyable thread to see.

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
The level of detail that you have put into this, has set the bar EXTREMELY HIGH! I wish that you could have posted a build thread of this project! I think that it would have been quite an enjoyable thread to see.
I have to agree with RB. Maybe you have some images when you build this model?

Reactions: lfriesen

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
That looks AMAZING!!! Did you use Shunichi's kit? I'm making an R5 dome for that one. ;) How did you make the hinges for the doors?
As it turns out, it IS the Shunichi Kit. For the door hinges, I folded over a piece of paper and glued it to both the inside of the body and the side of the door. The door “friction fits” into place when closed.

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
Unfortunately, back then, I didn’t photo-journal my builds. I plan on giving it a try on future builds though.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This is a very well built R2D2. You did a lot of detailing, much more than you usually see on these. Very nice indeed! :)

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
I just noticed that I goofed! The title I posted stated a 6” action figure scale but it’s actually in line with the 12” scale action figures of the 70s. Although obviously the model itself is well below 12” measuring in at 7.5”. I must have 6” on the brain as those are the size action figures I’m currently collecting.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I just noticed that I goofed! The title I posted stated a 6” action figure scale but it’s actually in line with the 12” scale action figures of the 70s. Although obviously the model itself is well below 12” measuring in at 7.5”. I must have 6” on the brain as those are the size action figures I’m currently collecting.
You may go back to the first post, hit the "edit" button and correct the title of the thread. You can always go back and change any mistakes; I do that all the time (my fingers are too fast for my keyboard, it always misses a letter or two). ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
You may go back to the first post, hit the "edit" button and correct the title of the thread. You can always go back and change any mistakes; I do that all the time (my fingers are too fast for my keyboard, it always misses a letter or two). ;)
Between my brain being faster than my hands, the peripheral neuropathy, and going on 40 years since Typing class. I'm good if I can make only 1 mistake per word.

lfriesen

Jul 20, 2023
Thanks Revell-Fan! I never think of the triple dot button when looking for the edit feature. I just assumed the title was not editable. You may be able to tell this is my first foray into blogging.