N Scale Steel Mill Complex Module

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
As some of you might recall my HO scale steel mill complex thread a while back, I am going to do one in N scale too. Still doind it in HO also, just have to wait till christmas to get started if you know what I mean;)

Here is the track plan I came up with and a description of it:

Instead of having a steel mill complex on my N-scale Layout, I will make a module for the Steel Mill Complex. I have a closet that is 5’ long x 2’ wide I can put it in. The bottom of the closet is currently empty and on the top is just my shirts hung up. I can also put a light or 2 in there so I can see in there. I will do this before I make the N scale layout (3 layouts at once is just a little too much LOL)

Here is the plan. There is not a way that a train could come in from the mainline and reach the steel mill yard. This layout is mainly for display which is ok for me because most likely all the buildings and track will be used on a bigger layout when I get my own place.
  • Mainline in back of closet that runs the entire 5’
  • There is a #7 switch that comes off the mainline at the right side and serves as the inbound/outbound track (labeled on drawling) and also serves the Electric Furnace. The inbound/outbound track meets up with the Steel Mill yard down at the bottom off the layout (off table). I realize that the inbound/outbound track is going the wrong way but that is the only way I could get one in (just pretend that it meets up off the table and there is another track that comes in off the left of the mainline). Confused yet? LOL
  • The inbound/outbound track also serves the Coke Oven & Quencher’s conveyor for unloading coal cars.
  • To get the Coke from the Coke Oven & Quencher to the Blast Furnace, there is a siding that also comes from the Steel Mill yard (the track that cuts from bottom left to top right which goes to the mainline also). I am going to scratch build a conveyor (labeled as Coke Conveyor) that comes out of the Coke Oven & Quencher and loads hoppers at the end of the siding. The hoppers are going to be the “Coke Express” with CSX markings on them. The hoppers get unloaded through the conveyor pit in the Blast Furnace (small box above Blast Furnace)
  • The Steel Mill yard looks very confusing doesn’t it? Well I made it so that the Steel Mill yard and the Blast Furnace could serve the Rolling Mill. There are 4 Double Slip Switches in the mess (all are marked with arrows) and also a WYE switch to

So what do you guys think? Again everything is drawn to scale and I still have to make it in Xtrackcab too.

Attachments

• N Scale Closet Layout - Steel Mill Complex.jpg
    N Scale Closet Layout - Steel Mill Complex.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 593

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I see all sorts of uselessly short sections between switches in the lower right area. Once again, I don't think you'll be able to get in as many switches as you've shown.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Triplex said:
I see all sorts of uselessly short sections between switches in the lower right area. Once again, I don't think you'll be able to get in as many switches as you've shown.

Ya, I was kinda thinking the same thing. Here is one that I just edited. Still, there are many switches but I took out some of them from the yard.

Attachments

• N Scale Closet Layout - Steel Mill Complex.jpg
    N Scale Closet Layout - Steel Mill Complex.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 586

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Should I take those out and replace them with 1 or 2 regular switches? That would certainly save some money. I would take that track out completly were it crosses all those and just have that track go to the first track ( 3rd track up from bottom)