Howdy!

Nictrain123

May 9, 2024
Nice to meet y'all and thank you for letting me be part of this group. My name is Nicholas and I come from Southern California.
I do a form of modelling called sprites, which are 2D side images of things like railway locomotives, made out of pixels to a 1.*86 pixel-per-inch scale, which is approximately 10 pixels per foot. Sprites like the classic 2D video games from the days before CGI and 3D animation, like Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog.

I usually model British or American prototypes or engines out of the Railway Series and the Rev. W. Awdry's original visions. I sought out SAR 1E's for a project I was working on to create a custom Metropolitan-Vickers electric locomotive for the Peel Godred Branch, built circa late 1920's.

image_2024-05-18_113313749.png
The plan is to use the chassis of the Metropolitan Railway "MetroVick" Bo-Bo locomotives, and then perhaps implement a SAR 1E body on top. The Peel Godred Branch was built in 1923 to light railway specifications, so the electrics would need to be small but powerful enough to handle at least four or five North Eastern Railway-pattern alumina hoppers to and from the works. If there's any more resources that might be available for the 1E's, I'd appreciate it if any could be sent my way! :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

This is indeed a very interesting topic. I have seen those graphics before and always wondered how they are made. Do you paint with a 1pix big pencil or do you convert vector images into pixel graphics? I'd love to see more of your work. Maybe you could start a thread in the renders and illustration section and explain your workflow, please? ;)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We love to help.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

This is indeed a very interesting topic. I have seen those graphics before and always wondered how they are made. Do you paint with a 1pix big pencil or do you convert vector images into pixel graphics? I'd love to see more of your work. Maybe you could start a thread in the renders and illustration section and explain your workflow, please? ;)

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. We love to help.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)
Thanks! To simplify the explanation of process, I use Photoshop CS3 to scale down the plans to the dimensions I need (multiplying inches by 0.86 and rounding off to the decimal), and Microsoft Paint to trace out the lineart with pixels.

I can do that, sure!

Hello and welcome to Zealot. You have come to the right place for all things paper (as well as other mediums). IF you have not seen it already, there is quite an extensive Trains & Railroad section. The members of that section (as well as the forum as a whole) are very helpful. SO, I hope that will help you feel more at home here.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask. We will do what all we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

When you do build a model I would like to invite you to post build threads of your projects. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as to highlight problem areas that you may need help with or show how you were able to solve said problem.

Once again welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself.

Have you ever considered laminating pictures to form a kind of "Bas-relief"?

Welcome to Zealot, nice to have you aboard. ;)

Welcome Aboard!

I spent several months in San Diego when I was in the USN, the when my stepson joined the USN I went back there and lived for 6 months in 2021 and 22, to look after my new born granddaughter.

These "Pixels" are great, for people like me with depth perception issues, the can fit right in, in the background of dioramas and things.