HOW do they steer the things?

OldMiner

Jun 12, 2016
Nevada
So, how are ships like TIE fighters, etc… steered? What makes them turn in the vacuum of space? Little thrusters? Other unknown gadgets? I need to know. :biggrin:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
This has always been a question that has been asked so many times. Since "Star Wars" is (more) science fantasy (then science fiction). So, the laws of physics are not followed (for the most part). Ships like the TIE Fighter do not have any kind of reaction control thrusters (which are used for changing directions in space). Where ships like the Colonial Viper MK-II have proper reaction control thrusters to make the ship change directions.
There are other ships from other Sci-Fi franchises that do follow the laws of Physics ("Babylon 5" and "The Expanse", just to name a couple more).

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands

Some reading stuff.

Reactions: OldMiner

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If they used real Ion Drives, it would take them about 50 years to get out of the hanger. The ones in Star Wars aren't even facing the right way. It's fantasy though. ;)

The real stuff is far more interesting. ;)

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Jul 12, 2012
Shannon GA
The downside of real Ion Engins, very low specific impulse, the upside of real Ion drives, they allow Dawn, the NASA probe launched in 2007 to be the fastest spacecraft ever launched from Earth. After 5.5 years of thrusting, when its fuel was exhausted it had a change in velocity, from orbital exit of 38,620 kph, or 20,000 MPH add that to it's escape velocity of 19,000 MPH. so total speed of over 39,000 MPH

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The guy commenting on Tie Fighters getting power from the ships must not watch the movies. These things fly in the atmosphere, far to far to receive anything from anywhere, and we already know the Sun isn't enough, this is when we need to suspend reality, and have fun, and just watch the show. ;)