Dow Chemical, need ideas

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I am modeling the CSX Saginaw sub. One of the major industries serviced was Dow Chemical in Midland, MI.
I read an interesting article in Scale Rails about a refinery that someone modeled. I liked there approach, but I am looking for some ideas as to how others would model this, and where I might come across a kit, or kits to build it with.

Thanks,
Matt

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
My first thought is to get pictures of the actual refinery if you are trying to model from the actual prototype. If you just want a free-lanced refinery, I would still obtain some pics of some refineries to use for ideas.

My second thought is to do the refinery as a "building flat" against the wall. You would have to get suitable photos of a refinery that could be photoshopped and modified to fit your backdrop. Then extend some tanks and piping out from there, some tank car laoding facilities and such.

As for kits, there are some out there, but they are pretty small and pretty expensive. It would take several to make a convincing refinery. Now the good news, tanks and piping are easy to scratchbuild out of stuff you have laying around or can buy relatively easy.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Walthers sells tanks, piping and cracking towers(all seperate). Plastruct does make a whole petro-chemical refinery, but even on sale for $72.00 out of the Walthers flyer[#570-1008] is quite pricey.

EngineerKyle

Oct 3, 2005
Troy MI
and Athearn makes a Dow tanker...

tanker.jpg

What era will matter. If you are an industrialist at the turn of the century, you'll need derricks for brine. Modern era? You'll need all the handrails and safety cages, etc.

Here's a tutorial thread I like to ressurect from time to time. It shows that Gary is right, I believe. You can freelance pretty convincing stuff from what's laying around the workbench.

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33614

aqo.jpg

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Kyle,

Thanks for the tutorial link. That is quite ingenius, the way you put that scene together. I have it bookmarked and will be refering back to it often.
It came out looking great!!