Budatinsky papierak 2023 /10.6.2023/ Zilina (Slovakia)

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
This modeling competition and exhibition was held in Zilina on June 10, 2023. It was already the fourth year. I would like to thank the organizers of this event for preparing a nice paper model competition and exhibition. The event took place in the beautiful surroundings of the Budatin Castle, albeit in different premises than last year, but at least I got to see other parts of the castle that I had not seen yet. Even if the weather was worse, you could also sit in the castle garden. I can say for myself, just like last year, that it was a day spent pleasantly and I will be happy to come and see it again next year.

A few photos:

DSCN4621.jpgDSCN4629.jpgDSCN4638.jpgDSCN4663.jpgDSCN4664.jpgDSCN4791.jpgDSCN4793.jpgDSCN4805.jpgDSCN4842.jpgDSCN4929.jpgDSCN5071.jpgDSCN5087.jpg

Photos from the event (478 photos):

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
That looks like it was a very enjoyable event. Thank you for sharing this with us!
When I was in Wroclaw, PL., I was a member of a local paper model club. I greatly enjoyed the yearly events that was held there.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I really enjoy those exhibition pictures. Thank you very much for posting them. :)

Chuffy70

Jun 5, 2022
Norwich UK
Looks a great event, I'll have to try a seek some out in the UK - if not a travel to this sort of set-up looks a welcome holiday

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Don't see that kind of get together over paper models in the U.S.A. :)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Don't see that kind of get together over paper models in the U.S.A. :)
Too right you are. Most of the model clubs (and exhibitions) here in the US are focused on plastic/resin models. Sadly, paper/cardstock models are either disregarded or overlooked at said clubs (and exhibitions). However, with that being said, County Fairs may accept them in the "MODEL" category in their "EXHIBITION" hall. Here in both Oregon and Washington, the different County Fairs accept paper/cardstock models. Many SCI-FI/FANTASY conventions have an "EXHIBITION" section for "fan-art" that will accept paper/cardstock models as well.

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
I go there to get inspiration for the next gluing, to see what's new, to talk to people I only know from the modeling forum...and I'm also happy that children are gluing, they had a whole table of models, so hopefully a generation will grow up here that will devote himself to this hobby ;)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Rhinebeck Aerodrome, in Rhinebeck N.Y. has the oldest flying aircraft in America. They have in one of their buildings, a display case with around 100 paper models that people have donated over the years. Some are pretty warped and faded, but you could tell they were once excellent models, and I don't think they came from kits. If you are ever in that part of the country, it is a must visit place. Go on the weekend, when they have a fantastic airshow, some of these planes fly so slow, you wonder what's holding them up! Also, they have rides in a 1929 "New Standard" BiPlane. I've been up 3 times. It ain't cheap, but it's worth every cent. It's not a straight up and down either, the pilot has a little fun, and you will experience "0" G's, when you feel your butt go up about 3" inches off the seat, and your legs are holding being held by one leather belt going across 2 people.
:)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Great video! Watching the intro I was waiting for a cut from the real railroad to a paper model railroad. The building dioramas are fascinating. I especially like the use of different materials. So many buildings from so many different parts of the world in one place felt like a speed world tour. The highlight for me was definitely the figure with the sciccors and the glue in its hands. Thank you very much for posting! :)

mikezax

Jan 3, 2010
Slovakia
zax.sk
This is exactly how I go to every exhibition, I don't have a car and I always travel by train, I have one box for models, sometimes I'm surprised how much stuff can fit in there...:)

krabica.jpg

The figure with the scissors represents Mr. Vyškovský, as the king of paper models. (for those who don't know, Mr. Vyškovský was a Czech author who designed hundreds of paper models)
Unfortunately, the figure cannot be bought, because it was issued as part of a diploma for winning an exhibition in the Czech Republic.;)

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
When I lived in Wroclaw, PL, I travelled the same way and transported my models the same way as well. There is noting wrong with that.
However, I would also carry a small "repair" kit that contained a hobby knife, scissors, a small bottle of PVA glue, a small tube of CA glue, and a few sets of different types of tweezers, just in case repairs were needed. There were a few times that not only did I need to repair one of my models, but there were a few others that needed to do the same, and I was able to help them out.

Reactions: zathros and mikezax