Adam Savage models

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
[YOUTUBE]vKRG6amACEE[/YOUTUBE]

Lately I'm going through Adam Savage Man Cave series on Youtube and I'm really flabbergasted about this guy. This is really my model of what I'd love to do in my life. The movie above is where he speaks a bit about making models for film makers - which is what he was doing before the MythBusters thing.

I think everyone here will find it very interesting. I also invite you to watch the other man cave episodes - they are simply fantastic geeky and hellishly interesting for any model maker.

Like this movie below, where he speaks at length about his spanning over a decade quest for making the perfect Bladerunner's blaster pistol:

[YOUTUBE]qSJsEwKqAbU[/YOUTUBE]

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I did not know about his model making past. That's pretty neat. I would like to see him talk about that aspect of his career. I can't watch their show though. Their buffoonery just drives me nuts!!

Being able to goof off all day long and spend other people's money is definitely a job I would not mind having either! They are so lucky they did not kill anyone when they fired that cannonball through that house. Only in America. :)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
These are FANTASTIC videos. They are a GREAT insight into (not only Adam Savage, but) what does (and can) go into model making and give some inspiration to attempt something new.

Thank you for sharing these with us.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Adam and Jamie (Hyneman) were the leading team of the MythBusters! They both worked on hundreds of VFX heavy blockbusters and can be seen in the bonus vids on the Matrix Revolutions DVD set.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
It is amazing how many YouTube videos of Adam Savage working on props there are. I wish he had a special/series, showing this kind of stuff. It would be beneficial and inspiring to many. The link below leads to a large collection of his works. I don't know how many people here have experience working with robotics, CNC machinery, laser cutters, etc, but I know that just seeing the work of so many brilliant people here, there could be some a lot more awesome stuff produced if they had access to this kind of equipment. That's the catch too, being in the right place, at the right time, and having the particular ability to take advantage of the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NyQq6D84kY

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
Among Adam's videos I found those two which are interesting for any modelmaker here:

One about starting to compose your toolset - what tools are most useful, and how to get a hold of them cheaply, and when to choose the better ones.

And the second one is about scrounging materials you need to make your project from. As for paper, my prefered method is to go though waste boxes of printing shop - I've got several places where all I need is to make a phone call and they let me go through their waste without any problem.

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
Very interesting video showing off a new tool in Adam's Cave - the laser cutter. He worked his ass off on that tool and explains a lot of things important to know if someone is into laser cutting stuff. I dream about a laser cutter for some time now so it is a very interesting video for me, but with the amount of laser cut additions to paper models available on the market I believe it to be an interesting subject for all of us.

[YOUTUBE]0eGiQzf6nac[/YOUTUBE]

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Great post Lehcyfer,

I'm surprised he "worked his ass off" as there is so much data out there on these. There are also many videos on YouTube to make these. You can use the laser out of a Blue Ray player for thin stuff. It's not hard to do, especially if you have any kind of fabrication tools , some good knowledge of electronics, and some money laying around and a very sympathetic wife!! That last part is what prevents me from doing it. My wife thinks having a machine shop is enough, women, what do some of them know! The first video uses a Blue Ray laser from a Blue Ray DVD machine. This is doable stuff. Not running a laser at it's maximum current rating is the key to long life. I have no money or real need for one of these, but it would be a fun project. I had though of putting stepping motors on my CNC machine and mounting the laser in the quill. This is done with some CNC machines. :)

[YOUTUBE]-dq157VIVMs[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]odcwWLtP6BM[/YOUTUBE]

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
:eek: WHAAAAT??? A home-made laser cutter???? From a BD player??? :eek:

That's beyond crazy! (... in a positive sense :mrgreen: ! )

hamrhamrhamr

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Yes, they work really well. People are also making laser pistols out of the blue lasers, as the blue laser is very visible, and makes for a "killer" toy gun! If you have a plotter, then you're really in business. There are lots of ways of making these things. :)

lehcyfer

Mar 19, 2008
The Lasercutter he presents was loaned for him so he didn't pay a dime for it. And it is a new tool in his personal man-cave, not in his experience. By "working his ass off" I meant doing so much stuff on this type of tool that people used to call him a "laserboy" :p

I like the idea of making your own lasercutter though ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I like that he uses it a lot, but who wouldn't!! Great tool to have, but like anything else, it has to be programmed. Programming My Silhouette Cameo Paper Cutting machine is almost like designing the model all over again, you have to do all the cutting paths with control points. Quite laborious. With an emphasis on the borius. Kind of a drag actually. :)

ASC Mclaren

Nov 18, 2011
Western Washington
We have a Kern laser table at work. I'm just starting to play with it. It uses Korel as the graphic program. You do your work in Korel then print to the Kern. With the 400w laser we have cut wood, paper, corrugated, acrylic, thin steel, carpet and foam. With Oxygen assist we can cut aluminum. I tried, but it couldn't cut carbon fiber composite. The kurf is like 0.004" and the pierce isn't too bad on most materials, so lead in and lead outs aren't as necessary on the laser as on the plasma or our water jet.

Now, most of that is juvenile bragging, but. There is a app that will take a picture and trace the outline as a tool path. I haven delved deeply into that, but I want to try that app on the Delta 7 Mercury capsule to laser cut all of the corrugation out (in 1:18 of course) so that I can layer to create the proper look. The app uses a camera so that it will align the cut file to the printed sheet. I will report back.