Tie Raptor

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Jul 5, 2020
Netherlands
HHmmm not sure how to say it but I think Im doing to many projects now. But I like to be busy when I have a spare moment.
And the Tie models are sometimes a welcome break. So as promised Im designing a Tie Raptor.
Here are the first results ready to be printed and to be alpha build. As you can see Im working with a new sphere construction.
And the wings will be 2 mm thick!!! Thats what I call a layerd wing.

Raptor test prnt 2023 06 04.jpg
Have fun dreaming of this model
Afcource first finishing the slave and the bomber instructions.

I started cutting the sphere take a look how it looks like after glueing.
20230730_150106.jpg20230730_150120.jpg
I like the shape of this sphere a lot its a good rounded. It is even looking better then the Uhu sphere I have build. Maybe I have to update some templates. I have also cut the parts for the first wing and glued them together. I will show them tomorow when the glue has dryed.

That is a GREAT looking sphere! I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out!
Thank you,
I have to tune it a bit the holes for the hatch, window, engine and bottom plate are way to big a have to make them smaller.
I test fitted the UHU interior and it fits like a glove. Still lot of work todo.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack
I was not completely happy with the Shunichi sphere on some points the dimensions are incorrect in my opinion.
So I went back to the drawing board and looked at the templates of the sphere's designed by Shunichi's and UHU.
The conclusion in made up is to design a sphere that's a combination between the sphere designed by Shunichi's and UHU.
Below you can see the template for the new sphere.
sphere mijob.jpg
And this is how the sphere looks like.
Shere_01.jpgShere_02.jpgShere_03.jpgShere_04.jpg
Yep I'm a happy person now I have finaly found a good sphere.

This looks great! I’ve always wanted to build a Tie. The spherical cockpit seemed like a fun challenge.

Reactions: mijob
This looks great! I’ve always wanted to build a Tie. The spherical cockpit seemed like a fun challenge.
Thank you, the short answer is that it is not that diffivult to build a sphere if you preform it you are almost there and take your time to glue it together.
I know there are two good sphere design's Shunichi's and UHU. But For me the UHU is the most difficult to build. I have seen models that are looking great with the UHU sphere but mine looked like a pumkim. Then the Shunichi sphere is easier to build and it is a sphere. But when I checked the dimesions some parts of it are wrong. That why I update the template and combined the both templates. The results you can see in my previous post. Today I will build another test sphere to test the fitting of the engine, window top and bottom hatch.