Laser cutting at home

Tonino

Apr 15, 2004
Republic of San Marino
www.facebook.com
Hi friends,
I want to share with you my last madness: I've bought a laser engraver and I'm using it for paper modeling, among other things, with great satisfaction.

Last Christmas I was thinking about what present to make to myself. I couldn't decide between a 3D printer and a laser engraver.
Then, as I often realize little projects with wood, the laser seemed to be the best choice and, till now, I didn't regret this decision
After having done some testing and studied how to use the software to drive the laser (I think Lightburn is the only reasonable choice for this purpose) I started producing things.

Initially I started with wooden objects dowloaded from various websites; I wanted to understand if it is possible to do such things like the Ugears models (I made a thread here on a steam locomotive some time ago). And, even if with some newbie error, things came out pretty well

DSC09599.JPGDSC09616.JPG

The laser was placed in the room I use for model making, in the ground floor of my house. The downside of the operation was the great amount of smoke and stink that filled the house and the subsequent warning from my wife: "this thing has to come out of there". She was right: it was not possible to do things that way.
So I went to the Hobby store and bought some plastic plates, an electric fan, a piece of corrugated pipe and builded a perfect smoke proof cabin.
Now the laser engraver is installed in my garage, with an old computer connected to it and to the ome network through a wi-fi dongle, and so I have a perfect cutting station where I can produce all the smoke that I can without any disconfort for my housemates.

IMG_20240515_193830.jpg
IMG_20240515_193922.jpg
IMG_20240515_193939.jpg

Now: what about card models? Well this device is not the final tool: you cannot do anything with it but, if you have some skill in 2D drawing with a vector graphics software (like CorelDraw that I use to make all my custom parts) you can obtain results that, with a knife, are almost impossible.

As an example look at the footstep I realized for my actual "WIP" (the Glaskasten steam locomotive).

First I draw the piece in CorelDraw and exported it in Lightburn
LightBurn.jpg

That grid is made of squares measuring about 1 millimeter, I wanted to push the laser to the limit of his cutting resolution.

1675427298185.jpgDSC09602.JPG
DSC09604.JPGDSC09606.JPG

The result was outstanding! Encouraged fron this result I realized a lot of other parts for the locomotive and found this is a very versatile way to have very little parts cut perfectly in a very little time.

DSC09608.JPGDSC09614.JPG
DSC09628.JPG

Obviously you cannot do ANYTHING with this device. As an example this does not allow you to cut printed models that you have. There is a software procedure to align the laser with reference marks of a shape and make it follow the draw exactly along the lines but I wasn't able to have it cutting exactly the drawn design. Maybe this is a fault of my laser device (it is not an expensive model) so I can't say if this is a general issue. Anyway forget to use it to cut your bought cardmodels. But if you use to draw custom parts to add to your model or you build models from scratch this device let you do things that you never imagined possible.

WOW!!!
That is very cool! There is indeed a great deal of potential to do many different things with the laser cutter. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Reactions: Tonino
Hey Tonino! I was trying to decide between the two and ended up buying the Creality K1Max 3D printer. I'll have to post more pics of the ship hulls I have been dying. These machines really require that you know some kind of 3D modeling, or you will be using other people's models.

Rhino3D works will with it, turning the Polyline models into meshes within Rhino3D, then exporting as .stl files.

Nice looking machine you have there. ;)

laser.gif

Now we are talking! :biggrin:

Even Captain Kirk was said to be an avid wood carver:

b2182e291095e9ef163eeedde23890cb.gif

And even back in the days the amount of fumes and smoke could not be ignored that easily, too, so he decided to work outdoors only. ;)

Tonino, this is looking GREAT! I am blown away by the quality and your setup. This is a great tool to enhance your craftmanship. :)

I would like to add, just as additional info for the ones who doesn't know this kind of device, that there is a lot of applications for a laser engraver apart building paper models. Cutting several materials is the most logical use but you can even just burn a little of the surface of your material tracing lines or drawing images like logos or photos. You can "print" on almost any object: wood, leather, glass and also on some metallic objects.
There are 3 parameters you can manage from the software:
1) power of the laser (in % from 0 to 100)
2) speed of the movement
3) number of passages
Playing with these parameters you can obtain the kind of result you want (with some tries).

DSC09608.JPG

As an example in this picture you can see that several lines doesn't cut through the entire depth of the cardboard, they are set with less laser power and more speed to just trace a reference line.
Another thing you can do is to set a dotted line (specifying the lenght of the cuts and the distance between them). This can be used to set folding lines.
Another essential feature is to let the software put little tabs, interruptions of the cut, to let the piece to remain attached to the sheet (like in the sprue of a plastic kit). Without this feature the littlest parts would fall down in the honeycomb base and would be lost.

It's a whole new world to discover and I'm enjoying it a lot. :)

Yaknow, this would be a great way to make interlocking skeleton parts from thick card. You could skip the whole printing, laminating and cutting part.

Reactions: Tonino and mijob
Yaknow, this would be a great way to make interlocking skeleton parts from thick card. You could skip the whole printing, laminating and cutting part.
Absolutely! This is another great resource with this device. It's very easy to scan, trace and export the parts that need to be laminated. And we all know what kind of work is to cut a 2mm cardboard along curved lines...

An extremely useful tool indeed. :)

Reactions: Tonino