I hate it when I get the dimensions wrong!

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I thought I'd take a stab at stretching a track plan that Brakie was looking at, to fill a 2x5 space. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention, so the first time around, I drew it in a 3x5' space.

It seems like not a bad layout for someone who wants to do some switching, let me know what you think:

Attachments

• brakie.jpg
    brakie.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 23
Put a mountain in the center and you have two separate view areas that could operate independently...say a town and an industry, or an industry and a market.

Maybe not a mountain, but buildings that are different on each side so that it looks like some other industry. Even for warehouses, you could make a brick building along one track and a glass and concrete one on the other. Or aluminum pre-fab.

It seems kind of spaghetti bowl like to me. I think it would benefit, scenically, from simplifying the track plan.

That is a yards on the lower left, and industries on the other sidings, correct? And there will be buildings blocking the view in between? (which of course, 50% or more of modelers would never get around to.

On the other hand, some cool things could be done by modifying the yards if it were a logging layout, covered in trees and hills...perhaps a switchback on one of the inner tracks.

Instead of the passing siding on the top, I'd draw a double slip at the crossing...with space limitations that require it.

It seems kind of spaghetti bowl like to me.

You're joking, right? You have seen what other people try to shoe-horn into a given space?

That is a yards on the lower left, and industries on the other sidings, correct?

Well, no and yes... it's only one yard :p , but there is supposed to be one industry per siding.

And there will be buildings blocking the view in between?

That's how I'd do it, but only if I could get around the entire layout... or at least 3 sides of it.

On the other hand, some cool things could be done by modifying the yards if it were a logging layout, covered in trees and hills...perhaps a switchback on one of the inner tracks.

Instead of the passing siding on the top, I'd draw a double slip at the crossing...with space limitations that require it.

Thanks for the comments. :)

Keep in mind this was a modification of a plan that Larry had started working from. He was looking for two separate industrial areas... it was originally supposed to be in a 2' wide space, but I goofed and made it 3'. And then tilted the oval a bit so there was some room in the one corner for a small yard, and another industry in the other.

Larry's interests (as I understand them) are in semi-prototypical operations. He wanted two distinct switching areas. I hate switching areas without a runaround, hence the two sidings. Also, by having two passing sidings, you could have two operators working separate jobs, and not getting in each others' hair.

*edit* Larry. LARRY! Brakie's name is Larry. Not Gus. :cry: :eek:ops:

You're joking, right? You have seen what other people try to shoe-horn into a given space?

I did pause on that...'cause I know what you mean...it doesn't make 5 laps and have two branchlines like some plans :p What I meant was that there sure seems to be a lot of track for the size of the layout. If there is one industry per siding, then it should be ok.

I can think of a few locomotives that would look quite nice running around on there in between the buildings.