Easter chicken on the loose! :-)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Howdee, fans! :)

This project is a collaborate effort of my mom and me. Our local broadcasting studio has started a call to send them self-made chicken in all forms to decorate the TV studio for Easter. Paper, fabric, mixed media - any kind of creation is appreciated. My mom is an avid hobby crafter and swang into action. I left her "home alone" for one day ;) and when I returned she presented to me some paper ball chicken! :)

Needless to say that I joined her and chose the Canon Japanese Bantam chicken for my entry. I chose it for its cuteness and the easy assembly. To make it look more interesting I recoloured the pattern and made one original sized one and two others which I re-scaled to 71% so that they would fit on one page.

DSCF9109.jpg

These are the printed parts ...

DSCF9113.jpg

... and the finished animals. :)

DSCF9114.jpg

DSCF9115.jpg

Very cute - but a bit "un-special". Knowing that my mom has a large box of all sorts of crafting stuff I left the chicken in her care to beef them up a bit and went to work.

The first thing she did was to fill the body with cotton and to add some paper feet:

DSCF9117.jpg

The big one got the large feet, BTW. ;)

Then she put the models into her crafting box, shook them a little bit and when she took them out again they looked like this:

DSCF9119.jpg

DSCF9120.jpg

DSCF9121.jpg

DSCF9122.jpg

DSCF9125.jpg

DSCF9126.jpg

DSCF9127.jpg

Last edited:
The above pictures deceive the eye a bit; there are really one large and two small chicken which is proven by this shot:

DSCF9128.jpg

A cloe-up of the bottom with the cotton and the feet:

DSCF9133.jpg

All of them needed some strings on the back. To do so I folded the top flap up and not down and added a companion piece to the other side so that the body could be closed as intended. The original plan was to punch through the flap and pull a string through it. Unfortunately the flap got destroyed while trying. My mom had the idea to glue the string to the flap directly and cover up the glue spot with a rhinestone.

DSCF9134.jpg

DSCF9135.jpg

DSCF9139.jpg

DSCF9140.jpg

DSCF9142.jpg

DSCF9144.jpg

:)

THANK YOU! :)

I think she would bling-bling the heck out of them... :Grin:

Alright, by now you might be wondering how the chicken look like my mom has made - and here they are:

DSCF9145.jpg

The head consists of four pieces: front, back, the hood inbetween and the beak. The face was not printed but hand-painted with pencils and markers. The same feet were used on them.

DSCF9147.jpg

DSCF9148.jpg

DSCF9149.jpg

DSCF9154.jpg

Mommy chicken still has an egg inside, so the family is growing soon. ;)

And here are the little ones:

DSCF9150.jpg

DSCF9151.jpg

DSCF9152.jpg

And the whole family together:

DSCF9158.jpg

DSCF9159.jpg

DSCF9165.jpg

Unfortuately my mom was so fast that I was unable to take any WIP pictures but there are plenty of tutorials on how to make paper balls like this one:

All chicken have been packed up well and sent to the TV station. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they will hit the screen soon! :)

The chicken have arrived! They have put up the blue one, maybe the others will follow. The shrub is a bit small so I can imagine that not all of them will be featured. :)

Video:

(available for one week; go to 20:21 min)

Screenshot:

1.jpg

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup