Zealot Cube, and Scale Photo Stand

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
A paper attempt again, Printed these out on Georgia Pacific 110# card stock, printed on my so-so Kodak Verte 50 inkjet printer.

The Zealot scale cube set from the Resource section, bu cmag I think...
DSCN0017-1.jpg
And the Zealot Scale Photo Stall, by Rhaven Blaack, and Revell-Fan.
DSCN0018-1.jpg
The 5cm bumper, and the 1 x 5 x 5 cm plate are done
DSCN0019-1.jpg

Next the Cube itself...

My printer truly sucks.... will have to get a much better printer before I tackle a serious card project.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Have you ever cleaned it? A tiny amount of dish detergent, like a drop, in a pint bottle, maybe with some rubbing alcohol, mixed together, with a big Hobby syringe, and rubber hose to insert into the printer ink head, the part that punctures the cartridge's, flush with this warm solution, then manually clean the rollers, well, I have saved many many pictures cleaning the nozzles like that. The printer companies use ink, which makes he problem worse. ;)

micahrogers

Staff member
Have you ever cleaned it? A tiny amount of dish detergent, like a drop, in a pint bottle, maybe with some rubbing alcohol, mixed together, with a big Hobby syringe, and rubber hose to insert into the printer ink head, the part that punctures the cartridge's, flush with this warm solution, then manually clean the rollers, well, I have saved many many pictures cleaning the nozzles like that. The printer companies use ink, which makes he problem worse. ;)
It's been cleaned per Kodak's instructions, and has two new ink cartridges, but it still prints like crap, not registered correctly, wrong colors, even black text is barely readable. a year old, but to be honest, the ink cost more than I paid for the printer...

micahrogers

Staff member
The cube cut out, and scored for folding...
DSCN0020-1.jpg

and folded and the first tab glued...
DSCN0021-1.jpg

I use tweezers to hold the seam while the glue dries,

And done... not perfect, but a good start.
DSCN0022-1.jpg

next will be the scale photo stall.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's the whole business model: cheap starter set, expensive additional costs. HP is pretty nifty when it comes to this. The printer recognizes non-HP ink cartridges and then, all of a sudden, it stops printing black. So you are forced to use the original ink. The bad thing about it is, HP still has the best printing results, so I still stick with them.

My printer's just had it, BTW. I'm not too sad about it because it really did its job. A few hours ago it stopped transporting the paper. I looked into it and found out that it might be this very same issue:

Unfortunately I have the 6700 which does not allow me to look inside like in the video. The whole thing is assembled in a way that it cannot be disassembled without permanently damaging it. So, if it were a horse I would have to shoot it. Maybe I'm lucky and can use the used cartridges with the new printer. :)

Last edited:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I buy ink from the 2nd tier distributors, the only closer company is the distributor, which is a company that Dupont uses. Virtually all Ink is patented by Dupont. Sounds like you problem is dirty dried, and clogged ink head cartridges. If you use the techniques I described or see if the printer model you have is listed at www.inkproducts.com there you will find ink at probably 10% of what you are paying now, and a cleaning kit. Tiy would buy the Printer Ink Station, which has enough ink for about twoo years, two sets of refillable cartridges, already filled, and the cleaning solution and syringes with instructions of how to do it. If the model for you printer is not there, throw it away and get one of the printers they suggest (make sure it is a Pigment Ink Printer!!). I usually go for Epson printers, it depends.

www.inkproducts.com

lyter1958

Esteemed Member
I use a WF 7110 and a c.i.s. ink system.
Ink last a long time, easy to fill and prints great. Pigment ink.

micahrogers

Staff member
Nice site Z, but they only list one system that says it is pigment based, and that is for a $900.00 Epson printer.... my budget is less than $100.00....

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Printer manufactures try and stay ahead of these companies. i can still get the products for my printers because I purchased the printers based on the cartridges they use. This is what you do at this site. You look at the cartridges that can be refilled, or run a CISS system. Frankly, for $100 bucks, you're throwing it away running it through your printer without cleaning the heads as have instructed, or, as on that website, under "Help" following the instruction tutorials on cleaning printer heads. If you put down the model of you printer, I can do some research.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
That's the whole business model: cheap starter set, expensive additional costs. HP is pretty nifty when it comes to this. The printer recognizes non-HP ink cartridges and then, all of a sudden, it stops printing black. So you are forced to use the original ink. The bad thing about it is, HP still has the best printing results, so I still stick with them.

My printer's just had it, BTW. I'm not too sad about it because it really did its job. A few hours ago it stopped transporting the paper. I looked into it and found out that it might be this very same issue:

Unfortunately I have the 6700 which does not allow me to look inside like in the video. The whole thing is assembled in a way that it cannot be disassembled without permanently damaging it. So, if it were a horse I would have to shoot it. Maybe I'm lucky and can use the used cartridges with the new printer. :)

If it can be put together, it can be taken apart. That may mean taken glued parts of the case apart, but if it's long (or just) past warranty, making a serviceable printer than uses refillable cartridges is a far better way to go. Not everybody can fabricate, but we are talking about members of a forum that do extraordinary fabrication. Any of you can do this.

In Micah's case, you have to buy printers based on the cartridges refill ability. There are quite a few, all you do is enter the cartridge number for the selected brand into Google and the corresponding printers come up. I purchased an Epson with scanner for $49.00 dollars on Walmart because it was being discontinued. I then purchased a refill station for $100 dollars, which gave me enough ink to last a year or more, and all the cleaning supplies and cleaning chemical (the same cartridges fit my Epson Workforce 1100, which I purchased on sale when it came out a billion years ago for $149, and last time it was available was over $600 bucks. (It's a 13" by 19" printer). It takes a bit of research, but since this is the core of our hobby, it is the most essential part of the hobby, unless you have a friend that has a CISS system, and throw him (or her) a few bucks to print out some copies.

Looking up the cartridge numbers can lead you to some excellent deals, some of them online, with full warranty's.

Takes research to save money, and once a warranty is over, remember, the case is to hold the mechanism together, you can make whatever access hole, or separate it as necessary, and that will not affect the printing mechanism.

micahrogers

Staff member
Printer manufactures try and stay ahead of these companies. i can still get the products for my printers because I purchased the printers based on the cartridges they use. This is what you do at this site. You look at the cartridges that can be refilled, or run a CISS system. Frankly, for $100 bucks, you're throwing it away running it through your printer without cleaning the heads as have instructed, or, as on that website, under "Help" following the instruction tutorials on cleaning printer heads. If you put down the model of you printer, I can do some research.
My current POS printer is a Kodak Verte 50, color printer / scanner / photo printer... but even in Photo mode " with the largest printed area at 4" x 5" it still gets colors wrong, when it was brand new it was a crappie printer, but it's what I could afford when my Epson died.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I need the printer cartridge numbers. That is a really bad printer, personally, I look for a used Epson, and go for that. I don't think this is worth putting a dime in. Please write the cartridge numbers down, Model number on back and serial. They still make these, so pinpointing ors will be based on the cartridge numbers I'm thinking.

Probably not worth the effort, but if you try cleaning like I described, that will have to be the first thing you do anyways. :)

Papa Mashy

Masher of paper
I drilled holes in my cartridges and refill them with a generic ink using a syringe.
Had a kit that came with little rubber bungs and the syringe. That was about 8 years ago. Haven't brought a cartridge since.
Does get your hands a bit messy, but I can live with that for the cost savings.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
On older printers you get get away with that, and get little plugs to cover up the holes. Giving them a vigorous shake will allow the ink to touch the inside contacts, and the computer will read the cartridges full. Now, you disconnect the USB cord and do the process with the computer separated from the printer. I applaud your motivation, what do you have to lose? Nothing. I've taken apart printers and modified them for people, using a hacksaw blade to cut along the seam, the gluing tabs on the inside, lining them up with sheet metal screw to hold it together. Once in there, you can do the mod necessary. Most printers do ot actually read the amount of ink in the cartridge, they calculate by pages print how much ink was used, then tell you a 1/2 full cartridge is empty. Most of the time a vigorous shaking, with paper towers strips covering the breather and nozzle hole will allow the printer to "see" the cartridge again. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
My current POS printer is a Kodak Verte 50, color printer / scanner / photo printer... but even in Photo mode " with the largest printed area at 4" x 5" it still gets colors wrong, when it was brand new it was a crappie printer, but it's what I could afford when my Epson died.

The reason I need more info on your printer, i.e. the cartridge numbers, because they still use that name on that printer. Also, that printer required quite a few software upgrades, doing to the latest now may help you out. Please, post the cartridge numbers fore each color and the Black one, so I can see if we can get it working for next to nothing. :)

micahrogers

Staff member
black cart is # 5 serial on back is Z08RFZC cfolor is #5 also, serial Z08RZJ3

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
From this link you will be able to figure out the compatible prices. Your printer comes under various names but they all use a cartridge that has a number (ALK1UA) different from the one stamped on the cartridge you are holding. Follow this link to Amazon, and from there you should be able to use the other number to get XL size cartridges much cheaper. (XL= X-tra large capacity).

https://www.amazon.com/Kodak-Replacement-ALK1UA-Cartridge-compatible/dp/B01KCTOHB6