Zathros is out of commision for now.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Zathros recently informed me that there was a hurricane that swept through the town that he lives in. FORTUNATELY , both he and his family are OK. his house is fine. Unfortunately, he is without power for the time being. Therefore, he will not be online until power is restored. So please, if you have any questions, comments, or concerns with the forum as a whole, please direct them to me or @Revell-Fan. We will do what we can to resolve the issues.

As I get more information, I will update this thread.
Please keep Zathros and his family in your thoughts and prayers.

This thread will remain a "sticky" until his return.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
This thread will remain a "sticky" until his return.

I don't know what that means, because I am pop-culturally deficient, but please pass along my support and best wishes for him and his family.

Now, how do I research the meaning of a "sticky" thread!!!!

;)

DanBKing

Dan the Man
I don't know what that means, because I am pop-culturally deficient, but please pass along my support and best wishes for him and his family.

Now, how do I research the meaning of a "sticky" thread!!!!

;)

It means that this thread has been 'pinned' to the top of the category page (Site News And Announcements.)
Therefore, this thread will always remain at the top of the page and not get lost in normal thread traffic....... It is stuck up there ..... ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
HOLY FRAK! This is very bad news. And very unecpected. I wish him, his family and his neighbours all the strength necessary to overcome the situation.

We were cut off from power once, a few years ago, in winter. It was snowing so hard that the power lines collapsed under the weight of it. It was almost a complete blackout. No heating, no warm water, no electric doors, no electric lights, no ATMs. The whole country was affected.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
It means that this thread has been 'pinned' to the top of the category page (Site News And Announcements.)
Therefore, this thread will always remain at the top of the page and not get lost in normal thread traffic....... It is stuck up there ..... ;)

Thanks!!

Always glad to look out of my burrow between every Feb 2...

But not too often...

:eek:

Tonino

Thanks for keeping us in touch. Waiting for good news.
I know that in such situations communications should be reduced only to essential ones but, if you hear John, tell him we all are with him with our thoughts and prayers.

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Wish John and his family all the best and his town a speedy recovery!!

I am OFF the grid so don't get the news ..or rather don't Punish myself by receiving the news.. Seems when ever I do get any news it is always bad.

Thank God he & the family are ok.

:) Result of incumbent government not doing any kind of forecasting....

I think you could have just stopped at "incumbent government not doing" Period!:(

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Thoughts and Prayers for John, his family, and his town. I was without power for 3 days last November, the coldest part of last year, it go down to 40 degrees Fahrenheit in my house before the power, and thus the heat came back on...

Sky Seeker

Well Established Member
At least it's during May and not the winter time (especially in the N.E.). That nasty storm that came through a couple of days ago hit my neighborhood pretty hard as well. We lost power for a good portion of the day then it was spotty for the past couple of days. Internet was a lost cause on Tues. Knowing Z he probably has a couple of generators going. Just the net in the area is probably spotty at best.

Still I hope that everything goes well and will pray him and his family.

Sky Seeker
:tank:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I'm back..... Actually, two Tornadoes came within 75 to 200 feet of my house, touching down in my backyard. I got a 10" limb through my roof. The loudest sounds bouncing off of my house I've ever heard. My 1967 Shasta trailer was flattened by a tree, my For Taurus had the front windshield smashed. When I get that chance, I'll post some pics. My neighborhood looks completely different. My backyard is just layers of trees, most more than 10" inches in diameter. There are very few spots of what used to be a very large yard open. Thank God no one was hurt or killed. My neighbor saw the twister and ran into her house, under the staircase with her kids (she did the smartest thing possible). The center of town has just had power restored. I have a generator hooked up to my house. Many around me are in the black. I wonder why they choose such expensive cars, then loose all their food, freezer goods, get flooded basements, some can't live in their house because of the small (sump pumps),because they did not chose to put in generators? I have to admit, I am quite comfortable. I have Satellite T.V. Hot Water, and my Fridge works fine. It is costing me around 8 gallons a day to run the house. I may get a smaller generator, I think 6000 watts is excessive, 4000 Watts would work ( I already own a 4000Watt one, and it's electric start!) this present one doesn't even lose idle when I turn on the 16,000 BTU air conditioner!! I have a line with a "Potable Water" for anyone who needs it. For 2 days you could not go further than 500 feet from your home because of the trees all crushed and tangled together. All of us own chain saws, and instead of waiting for the town, we cut our own way out.

I may lose internet again, when they big crews come in and screw up the wires, but all is well. I have around 30 trees I have to cut up, so I will be laying low for a while. Some of the 100 foot tall trees have split and are broken with their other top ends wedges into the crotches. I have no idea what to do, and I don't have the many 1000's of dollars it will take to make this go away, so time will tell. Chris will be the go to person, along with Revelle-Fan, and the other moderators, if you need anything. ;)

Tonino

Happy to hear you and your dears are well! I had no doubt about Zathros' resources even in the worst situations! Keep on! :)

ennder

Glade to hear you are okay, too bad you don't have a portable sawmill..... all that lumber just laying there going to waist.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's what we had in 2005:

hubschrauber-bei-laer-100~_v-gseapremiumxl.jpg

source: https://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/doku-am-freitag/hubschrauber-bei-laer-100~_v-gseapremiumxl.jpg

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Münsterländer_Schneechaos

Video documentary:

https://www1.wdr.de/fernsehen/doku-am-freitag/sendungen/schneechaos-im-muensterland-100.html

Several factors came together: Deterioration of the materials the power poles were made of, heavy snow fall and the way the poles are connected to each other. When one fell over the next one was pulled with it and so on.

Last edited:

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
"Daisy Chain" effect. Same thing happens with these telephone poles. Most of these lines should have been buried decades ago, that way only small section would need to be repaired.

Judging by how some of these limbs broke, either I am way stronger than I though, or I had a lot of standing dead branches. It's the latter I am sure. I have a Husqavarna 445 Chainsaw, and will be cutting everything to fireplace length, separate the seasoned stuff, get rid of the rotten stuff into my 70' long compost pile, till it in. I have Earthworms as big as snakes I'll, chip the rest, use the mulch in the yard. The idea is to re-purpose., (I'm the only person I know who has a chipper, what is it with these people 'round here? There a friend of our family, and I do like these people, but there 10,000 ft. square home smells to high heaven when the power goes (sump pump off, smells like they have a septic problem), so they have to stay in a hotel, throw out everything in their fridge and freezer, throw away rugs, and their house has a panel for a generator. I offered them a 7500 watt generator I rebuilt (very minor work needed), that even idles when no draw is detected, and being friends, I asked $200 dollars, for this $2000 dollar when new generator. They politely declined, I even offered to connect and show them how to use it.. I still have that generator as a back up and, and a 4000 Watt, as a further back up, that I tow around on a trailer with my tractor, so I can use my electric hedge trimmer, and other electric tools, out in the yard. Both are electric start. I will not offer these for sale either, nor loan them out. Last one I loaned back came back with the motor blown. They didn't even say anything . I would not asked for anything either, but the motor was bone dry, they never checked the oil. My newer ones have "low Oil" shut off. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Judging by how some of these limbs broke, either I am way stronger than I though, or I had a lot of standing dead branches. It's the latter I am sure.
Nature cleans itself. Everything that's too weak is literally blown away. You might end up with much fire wood. There was another storm called "Kyrill" that was similarly devastating, two years after the snow chaos. It flattened entire woods and killed the price for wood in Germany because there was so many of it lying around everywhere. 25 Mio trees in total. They even had to sell the wood to foreign companies for dumping prices because there was no way to deal with such a massive amount locally:

https://www.tagesschau.de/multimedia/bilder/bilderstrecke268.html
https://www1.wdr.de/archiv/kyrill/kyrill266.html

The bad thing is that wood "cut by nature" usually is not of "industrial" quality and needs twice or triple the amount of work and money to make it usable. Much is too old and unstable, the logs are broken at unfortunate angles and so forth.