Who Are The Mechanics Here?

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
OK.... Most of you know that I got an old Lionel Burlington Northern engine from eBay. The thing runs like crap and in order to return it, the seller wants me to eat shipping costs both ways. (Which means I would lose out more for the shipping than I actually paid for the engine. Shoulda known this would happen. :rolleyes: ) Since this is the case, I've decided to keep it and see if I can get it running again. However, after spending the better part of an hour looking this thing over, I cannot figure out how to get the darn thing appart. I can tell the middle section of the cab comes off somehow but I feel like I'm forcing it and I don't want it broken. Rahter than take the risk of destroying something I know nothing about I was hoping someone here who has experience with HO engines might be willing to take a look at it. I would be willing to pay for shipping and labor costs to anyone who would take a stab at resurrecting this little critter. (For a resonable cost of course.) Of course I'd pay for any parts that may be needed as well. (Within limits.... I don't need it converted to DCC or seomthing like that. :D ) I know it's a shot in the dark but if anyone is willing to take a crack at it, shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

Thanks.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
CNWman said:
two things:

1. have you tried your LHS?

2. Why did you switch your avatar? I liked the toy choo choo better:(
1) Honestly no, I haven't. I don't even think we have a Lionel repairman anywhere in St. Joe

2) Because I finally named my railroad and changed the avatar to reflect that. ;)

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
OK, I have one of the same identical Lionel engine sitting in front of me, same road and number. On the sides, just below the air tanks, take a small screwdriver and pry out and upwards. The upper shell will come off and reveal the motor and wieght inside. :thumb:
And yes, it is a pancake motor. Not much different from the early run Bachmann's.

I will prob leave this one as a display piece, or gut and run as a dummy. My shell and handrails are in excellent shape.:D

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
The easiest way to get that sucker to run good would be to get an A-Line/Proto Power West chassis for it.. The part number is #51102, and it fits the Lionel/Bachmann GP30 shell.

The chassis comes with a tuned mechanism, with a Mashima can motor and turned-and-balanced flywheels.

Lots of advanced HOers swear by PPW chasses.. The only downside? These PPW chasses aren't cheap.

Hope this helps!

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
if worse comes to worse, turn it into a CSX slug unit. all you need is a matching GP40-2 mother locomotive to be attached at all times, and you are done! it makes for interesting equipment.

you might be able to get a spectrum GP30 or something and use its drive parts. I know they sell for cheap at hobby shops near me. they would atleast have the provisions for all wheel drive and if you don't like spectrum's motor, you can go A-line / NWSL

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Is this ho scale or o27? Lionel uses what looks like a pancake motor in their O gauge line up, but I think it works betterin the larger size than the junk units used in ho. If it is an old Lionel ho scale locomotive, the least expensive way to repower it with a good drive is to pick up an old Athearn blue box gp35 off e bay or at a train show or swap meet.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Well, for right now, our own shaygetz is going to get the loco sent to him to see what sort of magic he can work with it. He's made the offer to fix her up if she can be fixed so we will see what he can do. If he can't fix it or it needs more in parts than it's worth, I'll decide what to do from there.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Cannonball said:
Well, for right now, our own shaygetz is going to get the loco sent to him to see what sort of magic he can work with it. He's made the offer to fix her up if she can be fixed so we will see what he can do. If he can't fix it or it needs more in parts than it's worth, I'll decide what to do from there.

Another fine use of chating in The Gauge:D :thumb: !

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Moral of the story:

Caveat emptor-- It pays to research a bit before buying something. tooth1

I also learned it the hard way... Back in the 1980s, I must have spent $100 on a POS Botchmann pancake motor Amtrak E60CP before I realized I could have gotten a much better-running engine for a lot less if I had done some research first. :curse:

Which is why the majority of my motive power roster these days are flywheel-drive Athearns, the oldest of which has been running flawlessly since 1988. :thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
Moral of the story:

Caveat emptor-- It pays to research a bit before buying something. tooth1

I also learned it the hard way... Back in the 1980s, I must have spent $100 on a POS Botchmann pancake motor Amtrak E60CP before I realized I could have gotten a much better-running engine for a lot less if I had done some research first. :curse:

Which is why the majority of my motive power roster these days are flywheel-drive Athearns, the oldest of which has been running flawlessly since 1988. :thumb:

oh man, you aren't referring to those American GK models? i swear, i just know its gonna happen. me and some old guy are going to get in some sort of epic battle over the last one thats sitting on some train show table somewhere, lol. I've been really trying to get a hold of them. I don't even try on ebay, because everyone is willing to bid higher than me, lol.

right now i'm milling down a C44-9w chassis for my bachmann E60, but i've stopped because i have school stuff i need to do. I'm pretty sure it will work, but in the future i'm going to want to buy more heavy duty tools for the job. i swear i'm sitting there for an hour to cut a sliver off off the thing with my dremel tool. I think i might grab another bachmann one though, because my current shell is in bad shape. I'm gonna have to see how mine comes out.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
oh man, you aren't referring to those American GK models? i swear, i just know its gonna happen. me and some old guy are going to get in some sort of epic battle over the last one thats sitting on some train show table somewhere, lol. I've been really trying to get a hold of them. I don't even try on ebay, because everyone is willing to bid higher than me, lol.
Hey Green,

LOL, in my case it was an instance in being penny-wise and pound-foolish.. Back then, I had a choice between getting that HO-scale Botchmann train set with the E60CP loco and 3 Amfleet cars, complete with an oval of brass track (wow! NOT! :D ) and a power pack.. Versus spending the same amount of money for just the Walthers E60CP alone.

Well, I chose that Botchmann set and I've been regretting it ever since. :p

Ah heck. I think I've made up for it though.. With this MUCH-nicer-running Amtrak consist: http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25466 :cool:

(and by the way, there's some Escargot action on that thread too. sign1 )

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Cannonball said:

By golly I gotta problem. It's all apart but....I forgot how it went back togethersign1

The problem was a well used mechanism, the brushes were worn near to the nub. Found some that fit, put it back together with a bit of grease and oil and...woo hoo:thumb: New traction tire, new horn set---handrails are up to you, bud:D --- and, while she ain't no Kato, it'll do in a pinch. BTW, an Athearn BB GP7 mechanism would fit right in with a bit of filing on the corners...darn near a drop in fit.

Attachments

• tweek.jpg
    tweek.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 31