Whither Matt Jeffries shuttle?

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Has anyone seen a model of the original Matt Jeffries shuttle design for Star Trek, that was rejected due to cost by the studio? They went with the more affordable Galileo seen in the first season, built by AMT models.

I thought for sure that I had seen someone make one, but I can't find it.

I thought that it had been made but I don't see one in my files, nor in any of the threads; maybe I'm suffering a senior moment??

Wait...I'm not a senior yet...technically....

Possibly it was too hard to make with paper, due to its curves, and I'm hallucinating??

Yawn....maybe I am still asleep????

Attachments

• JEFFERIES SHUTTLE.jpg
    JEFFERIES SHUTTLE.jpg
    833.7 KB · Views: 60

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Hey @THE DC ; in the 2 years I've been searching and building Trek models I've never come across one of these. Maybe some brave designer will take up the challenge.;)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
Hey @THE DC ; in the 2 years I've been searching and building Trek models I've never come across one of these. Maybe some brave designer will take up the challenge.;)

You know, you are most likely correct, I had just thought for certain that I had seen one.

Maybe the hair is not the only thing greying...!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I find that very interesting. I am going to look for more info and pics. If anyone finds any, please, post them here.

Update: Found tons of them. Got to think about this. :)

Last edited:

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I find that very interesting. I am going to look for more info and pics. If anyone finds any, please, post them here.

Update: Found tons of them. Got to think about this. :)

Am I imagining this, Zathros?

I would have sworn that there was one put up here, but I'll be a hair's breath if there's one in any of my files?

I did find some Jefferies built pics and design plans that I'd gotten somewhere; I thought here with the shuttle?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought there was something like it!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I found around 50 different pics and drawings, renders by others, etc. I think some people got too happy. I think this shuttle had the Hull of a fat Lear Jet. It would be interesting to model. Tons of research though, to make something acceptable. :)

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
@zathros @THE DC It looks like the folks who worked on the remastered Star Trek paid homage to Jefferies shuttle by using it as the basis for Harry Mudd's ship (replacing the blob of light) in "Mudd's Women" and the stolen space yacht Aurora (the modified Tholian ship) in "The Way to Eden." So, if someone where to work on this he or she, with a little modification, could potentially get three models out of one.thumbsup

Attachments

• eden1.jpg
    eden1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 48
  • eden2.jpg
    eden2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Jefferies.jpg
    Jefferies.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 46
  • muddswomen.jpg
    muddswomen.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 48

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Now that is extremely interesting indeed! Thanks BG!!

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I have not found this kit in my files. I am wondering is I remembered someone TRYING to do it and lost track of the thread, or something similar, like BGT01 noted. I diddiagram.jpg
have this Jefferies print I had saved:

I went on line to see if I could find it but I only found a nice computer model done:

Shuttle_textures_x1000.jpg

pair_of_shuttles1.jpg
Nice work on the computer model! I wish I could send him a compliment!

I suspect that I recalled someone trying a paper model version but that the effort didn't bear fruit (or pylons, as the case would be?).

I'll keep looking, but I think it was a dead thread because the many curves would have made such a design pretty difficult (the same reason that the Class F design was approved over Jefferies' original design. AMT model kits, for the rights to make a model, built the exterior for Roddenberry.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
I found quite a few original concept drawings, and it really looks more like a rounded off Lear jet, with that kind of room inside. I think the guy who did the renders above went way too wide. It was only two people wide in the cockpit area, and widened very little, maybe 4 across in the aft section. Maybe I'll throw up a quick Render of what I think it could have looked like, just my own two cent interpretation. :)

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
I hadn't noticed before, but you may be right. The Jefferies drawings do seem more compact.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
It is very tempting to try and do something like this, though I would not want it to look like "Mudd's" ship. ;)

bgt01

Exemplary Confidant
Shouldn't be hard to avoid @zathros since we only saw it from the rear and not close up. Although, if you did you'd get to study those 3 babes a lot for research about crew complement.;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Too many compound radii in that model, besides, it is an interpretation that, personally, got too wide, and big, even according to the designer.

bobw63

The Jefferie's shuttle "wings" look like they are asking to be retractable, each hinged at two places allowing the nacelles to be tucked in close to the fuselage. Retracted for storage and deployed for warp? The retracted version could be made to show a strong resemblance to the Galileo with some creative geometry.

THE DC

Highly Esteemed Member
If you can find the author of the 3d renderings, maybe he can Pep the model for us.

Okay, I will.

I have given up on the idea that i saw it tried. I must have dreamed it, or hit my head, or was it the weak-ly electro-shock...

I'll get back ASAP.