Wheel Quartering

sluggs

North West Short Line makes a quartering jig for 3mm and 1/8" axles, does anyone else make one for larger diameter axles?

Sluggs

nkp174

They actually make 3 of them. The Mark II & III are all metal. II is for HO-S...and III is for O scale.

sluggs

This page might help...
Page 1: NWSL Tools, Thrust washers, Prime mover re-power kits, Locomotive driver springs, Shaft, axle material, Tool parts, PDT self powered trucks

I have a Balboa 2-6-0 arriving in a few days...so I'm going to need to get a catalog too...for repowering it.

San Juan Car Company sells a 70.8 to 1 Falhauber micro motor and gearbox assembly, but it aint cheap.....$198.00
i_100.gif

The catalog numbrt is 100 Bet that mogul would d r i f t down the track.:cool:

Sluggs

sluggs

Wow. That is pricey. Of course, San Juan's stuff is nice.

Yup, but in On3 you don't have a 50 loco yard. I thunk of something I ran across the other day... and they come in HO, S, O scales... wagons, wagons, and more wagons! Laser cut wood kits, they look great.... so many of us love modeling the early years. Grizzly Mountain Engineering has a slew of wagons from buckboards to ore dump wagons. I checked on the mark II and III quarterers, dude, you wanna talk pricey :eek: Be well
Sluggs

nkp174

Wow. You're right...those are pricey!

I'm all about 1884 as my time period...the Cooke moguls have arrived...but it is still prior to the 1885 renumbering. Plus they still have their only 4-4-0 and a few Barney & Smith cars on the roster.

At some point, I'd like to build a train depicting 1871-72 on the D&RG...a 2-4-0 with a 4-wheel tender...plus 4-wheel freight cars. Talk about cool.

The cars were so much simpler back then...simpler and fewer pieces of hardware...less need to purchase detail parts.

The beauty of narrow gauge...especially On3...less is more. Prototypical 5 car trains and 200 mile long railroads with 6 engines. Not to mention quadruple headers on 14 car trains!

sluggs

Wow. You're right...those are pricey!.

The cars were so much simpler back then...simpler and fewer pieces of hardware...less need to purchase detail parts.

The beauty of narrow gauge...especially On3...less is more. Prototypical 5 car trains and 200 mile long railroads with 6 engines. Not to mention quadruple headers on 14 car trains!

You are so right, small prototypes, even in On3, short trains, clean equipment..... russia iron boilers, gold leaf, polished brass, etc. My era is a bit later, 1910 - 1915 because I love model 't" Fords and the like, automatic couplers and oil for fuel. As for the quartering jig, I was digging through my "acorns" hehe and I found an "O" scale quartering jig, made by English, that I forgot about buying around 15 years ago. The axles have to be center drilled to use this jig so it's a bit more complicated to use.... but the quartering should be dead on.... later

Sluggs

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I have "The Quarterer" NWSL cat. # 44-4, There's no doubt that having a quartering tool is next to absolutely imperative, if steam is your choice of motive power. I have had to pull drivers, and re-quarter them, on a couple of locos. Pricey?, yes, getting my locos running better, priceless! :mrgreen:
Both my HOn3, and On30 are freelance. Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and Drydock Company is the parent corporation of four shortline roads. Two are standard gauge, the "yard's" industrial is 3' gauge. SHS&D #1 is an outside frame compound 2-4-4-2, modified from an old Baldwin 2-8-0, by the shipyard. The yard's foundry, is casting parts for the outside frame 3' gauge 2-6-6-2, and if that loco is successful, they will start on the 30" gauge version for the Wiscasset Bucksport & Schoodic Point.
The "legal paperwork" needed to run four steam powered modern railroads, would require all four roads to make six trips each, to move the documents!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

sluggs

I have "The Quarterer" NWSL cat. # 44-4, There's no doubt that having a quartering tool is next to absolutely imperative,
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :rolleyes:

Received my mogul in the mail yesterday, MRR has gone a long way since I left the hobby. Yes, I will have to save my pennies and get one of the metal quartering jigs, the one I have is too big for O narrow. Looking at this model I see a lot of work to space it out, not only axles and frame spacers but the brake gear spacing could be tough.... Thats ok, I have time to think about it. Gotta say, love this forum, I don't feel alone in a narrow world ..... and thats my story sign1
Sluggs

nkp174

Good to hear that your mogul arrived.

My new mogul should be arriving tomorrow.

I think I'm going to build my jig out of 0.040 Brass...although I might make the functional layer out of Styrene and overlay it in brass or alumilite (which dries to being rock hard).

sluggs

Good to hear that your mogul arrived.

I think I'm going to build my jig out of 0.040 Brass...although I might make the functional layer out of Styrene and overlay it in brass or alumilite (which dries to being rock hard).

Do you mean build a quartering jig?
Sluggs