What is the best for paper AFV's scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOBI

Jan 15, 2004
Bangkok, Thailand
Hi All,

As know as i jump into AFV beside with aircraft design and i want to know that what scale what fit into paper AFV? 1/72? 1/35 or 1/48 same as my aircraft design...i know a lot of expert around here will give me a good solution for me to jump into right way of AFV...

Thank you very much in advance for all suggestion.

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
I remember a range of paper tank models from the 1960's and 70's. They were available mail order only from a UK designer, and were black lines printed on coloured paper, sand, green, grey, etc. Usually the hull and turrets were one piece each, with barrels rolled. They must have been about 1:100 scale or thereabouts. There were loads in the range, and they were designed for wargaming. But for the life of me I cannot rememebr the range name or designer. I thaought they were advertised in Airfix Magazine, Military Modelling, but the issues I have from that period don't seem to have the adverts.

Anyone else recall these?

NOBI, your models will be different in different scales. Whichever you chose, they will be excellent!

Tim P

PS 1:25th is cool, look at that Freebie Stuart kit that is on the net somewhere; beautiful model.

R

RyanShort1

I must admit I'm partial to 1/72 as it's a lot of fun to have mini battles with them.

Ryan

nebeltex

Feb 3, 2004
texas
papertigerarmaments.com
1/72.........

.......of course i'm going to say 1/72. this has to do with my philosophy on art in general. i prefer my creations have more purpose than just display and so their use for war games is an obvious one. there are many sets of plastic soldiers available in this scale and you can even do some soldier "flats" to offer too. for my site, i've tried to imagine someone in a very remote area (north slope, alaska?) who can obtain the models, some soldiers, and even game rules, all from one site. the models can be done for display only though.... the larger scales can be used for gaming also but the time involved to build and detail them makes them unattractive to war gamers. storage or display space can be a consideration also. ideally, you will want a person to buy dozens of your designs. where will they put them all? also, many well built models are on display in homes but they rarely are seen by loads of people. war gamers take their stuff on the road so more people are exposed to your product. i've said it before but here goes; "a good model build is like a woman's skirt. long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep it interesting".

papertigerarmaments.com

"we turn paper modelers into war gamers and war gamers into paper modelers"

T

Texman

Nobi,

1/72 sounds great! Think T-72, T-64, T-80, And then there's
the BTR 50,60, 70 and 80 series!!!

There's hope!

GEEDUBBYA

Sep 26, 2005
PINE BLUFF, ARKANSAS
Howdy all,

Tim, was this the models you were talking about?

http://www.terra.dti.ne.jp/~yoshidom/

they are 1:72 scale models and most are available for free download including:
Humber MK2 armored car, SPA AB41 armored car, TYPE 87 selfpropelled anti-air craft gun, Panhard AMD 178 armored car, Krupp Boxer 6X4 truck, BA-6, TYPE 89, RAUPENSCHLEPPER Ost, M4A3 Sherman, Churchill Mk3, Strv.103B, Hunting Tiger, Tiger 2, M60A3, MerkavaMk3, Leopard 2A1 and others. *note Most are non colored and can be edited via paint program or photo editor or other similar type programs.

have a good day,

Greg aka GW

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
The scale of AFV models seems to me (IMHO) to depend on the intent of the designer and builders of the model. There seems to me to be two extremes in AFV modelling:

- Quick to build and accurate enough to convey the general appearance of an AFV. That is, models good enough for war gaming, etc. 1/72 seems to be good scale for this.

- Accurate and detailed models to document the historical appearance of the original vehicle. Although the plastic models aim to do this in 1/35 it seems that 1/25 works better for paper models. The trade off for the large models is that although the detail and accuracy is impressive the build time is necessarily quite long. Check out how long Jim Nunn says he takes to complete a model or how long the Halinski Tiger build documentation has been running in Cardmodels.

It seems to me that the compromise scale of 1/50 or 1/48 has some attractions since the build time isn't excessively long and the level of detail
can be quite impressive. There aren't a lot of models at this scale - perhaps the best of them is by ICM modelling. Given NOBI's design slogan
of "easy but beautiful" this scale may suit NOBI's models better than the complexity of large scales and the simplification of 1/72 subjects.

Regards,

Charlie

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
OK so now that I know what AFV is .............. I'll give an opinion........for what it's worth. :D

I like the 1/48 scale (or bigger). It's easier for me to work with......speaking of aircraft.........so I'm thinking maybe it would be easier if I get into AFV. I really REALLY like 1/32 but........ 1/48 is a good compromise for me. I can (if I want to) keep the models without taking a tremedious amount of space....(er a premium as far as the wife is concerned :shock: )....... AND if I give them away it's a good size for kids to play with. Again as charlie said IMHO. :D

J

Jim Nunn

I am in agreement with Charlie. But by virtue of the fact that 90 % of paper AFV’s are in 1/25 scale any model I will build will be in 1/25 scale. Simply because it fits in with the rest of my collection.

One of the benefits of this hobby is that we can easily rescale the models. Nobi, perhaps you would consider doing the same model in two scales 1/25 and 1/48 with more detail in the larger scale.

Jim Nunn

Status
Not open for further replies.