What is it ??? (Korean Sundial)

M

Mark_1984

I found this in a museum shop in Mokpo. I bought it cause it looked nice, and was abviously a card model, but I've no idea what it actually is. Maybe a sundail of some sort ?

View attachment 11357

View attachment 11358

It's a tab and slot construction. Pre punched as well. It looks like a good quality kit. CAn any body tell me what it is ?

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
It's a tab and slot construction, pre-punched, apparently good quality kit probably of S. E. Asian origin.

Oh ... and it's of a sundial.
:grin:

Nice find.

tjchung

Jan 15, 2005
Correct, its a sundial. Specifically, a sundial made during the reign of King Sejong the Great of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) sometime in the mid to late 1400's AD. King Sejong's reign was known for its enlightened science and technological innovations intended to help the common people, the most famous of which is the phonetic Korean alphabet (a radical departure from the symbolic Chinese then in use) that is still used to this day.

M

Mark_1984

OK - Let's build it

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.

Anyway, I guess you'd like to see how it goes together ?

View attachment 11392
Some of the parts. Nicely printed on thickis card. Printed both sides.

View attachment 11394
The first thing to make is the ring. I little fiddly, but no great hassle. Despite being a tab & slot construction it benefits from some glue as well. A grey sharpie stopped the edges from sticking out like a sore thumb.

View attachment 11393
The bowl was easy enough, up intil the last join - then is became a right git.
From the inside the bowl looks great. From the outside all the tabs stick out, so it's a bit disapointing. I might see if I can do something about that.

View attachment 11395
Here are the two parts mated. (Sorry - out of focus :eek:ops: )

M

Mark_1984

Finished

View attachment 11564
Here is the finished sundial. The arm was the hardest part to do. It needed gluing to get it to form up nicely, rather than spring apart.

All in all a nice simple model, which gives a pleasing result.

(Hmmm...... does this count as a working model ;))