Well, Here We Go, Deep Breath, Begin.

GlueAndPaperGuy

I tripped over Card Modeling AKA Papercraft sometime between 9-11 and 2012. The exact timing is lost to history. My first model remains available on John Leslie's Lower Hudson Valley E-Gift Shop. I consumed most of Ton Noteboom's Real Space patterns and never looked back. I did that time as a lone wolf. I've begun reaching out to other designers and builders of late. I've found that incredibly rewarding. I have had a chance to talk to one talented designer at length. Maybe I'll meet more here. My story is familiar. I was born more or less simultaneously with John Glenn's first flight. My early teen years were consumed with both Styrene and paper. My room once housed an entire solar system in which toilet tube spacecraft followed impossibly straight paths powered by loops of thread and constrained by an infinite number of cup-hooks. There were Foam ball planets. My father brought me stack after stack of original GULF LEMs from his Gulf Oil office in Century City Los Angeles where he was an important executive. You saw that office park in one of the 1970's Planet of the Apes renditions. I shook hands with Roddy McDowell in makeup there one evening whie the block buster was being shot. My 7 year old magnum opus Revell Styrene Saturn stack graced the Gulf Oil headquarters lobby for a time. My early thirties found me poor, bored and restless. Enter Ton's Apollo CM and escape tower. My dearest freind and 9th grade art rival still has it. My world is a much better place now. I no longer need to give models away upon completion. I can store them proudly. My wife and partner collaborates in my efforts at content production. No less than Charlie Duke, Apollo 16 Lunar Module Pilot himself was gifted with my first GULF LEM re-pop some kind soul had scaled to 1/96. I am itching to meet designers who may not have posted on Paper-Replika or the other forums and have created real space, fantasy space, critters et-all. I'll build anything once and somethings twice if I like 'em.
I have a Holey Grail and a White Whale. Moby's name is Ton Noteboom. I've been told Ton has "gone dark". He left his patterns in the care of Jon Leslie and walked off into the sunset workman's hat perched proudly on his head. I want to know that story. A perfect world would contain an actual conversation even if it is by email.
My Grail is shaped like the original distribution of the GULF LEM. I let my father quietly slip away to a better place without ever asking the obvious question: "Dad, who designed the original GULF LEM?" He probably met that person or hob-knobbed regularly with the folks in a corporate art department if he didn't.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and, let me be the first to welcome you to ZEALOT! You have come to the right place for all things paper (and other mediums for that matter). You will find that there are many members who are greatly interested in "REAL SPACE" models. Not only that, but there are many members who are designers (of many different genres) that have created some very spectacular model (we also have an extensive resource section as well). So, I am quite certain that they will be willing to give you a hand with projects that you have.

If you have any questions, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask. We will do what all we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction). When you do build a model I would like to invite you to post build threads of your projects. Build threads are a great way to show off your skills and techniques, as well as to highlight problem areas that you may need help with or show how you were able to solve said problem.
Once again welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself. I look forward to seeing your work!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot! :)

Thank you for posting this indepth introduction.

Please, if you have any pictures of your previous builds, show them here. We'd love t see them.

Take care and have fun and enjoy! :)

RF

mijob

Tie designer
Staff member
Hello G,

That's a nice introduction. Have fun here and dont hesitate to ask help.
Have fun here and if you have pic's please show them we love pic's.

micahrogers

Moderator "Where am I, and how did I get here?"
Staff member
Welcome aboard, whatever your fancy, we can help you here.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to Zealot!! One of the best Introductions I've read. Many designers here. All are good people. We are a community of like minded people. We support eachother and you may have stumbled on one of the nicest places to be on the forum. Welcome to Zealot!! :)