Warhammer 40k Predator

Nathnem

After combing the web I am sorry to say that I have yet to find a decent space marine predator tank in which the turret is not incredibly difficult to build because the measurements and angles are not correct.

After finding this forum and reading through many of the threads I have decided to design my own upgrade to convert the rhino that I use into a predator. I am well versed in Photoshop and 3D Studios Max, so this should be a fun project. I heard about Pepakura on one of the threads and picked it up.
This is my first attempt at designing a paper model so we’ll see how it goes.

Over the last few hours I have been fleshing out the turret in 3DS and below you will find a few pics of the preliminary design as well as the file for the rhino that I will be using. I can’t remember where I picked up the rhino (probably the yahoo group) but it is not my design.

Attachments

• Predator 01.jpg
    Predator 01.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 85
  • predator 02.jpg
    predator 02.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 117
  • predator 03.jpg
    predator 03.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 60
  • predator 04.jpg
    predator 04.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 500
  • Rhino.rar
    255.3 KB · Views: 44

Nathnem

I tried the turret for the predator from that thread two days ago actually, and though it was far closer then any other that I have found I ran into the same problem as before. I did however use its shape as the starting point for the turret that I am designing.

Thank you however for your help.

I don't have a GW model myself so I have been using the rhino I built for scale and pics from the GW site for reference. If anyone out there has built this rhino before I would like to ask how to scale it is.

Update:
I have decided to try and make the barrel interchangeable so it is an easy switch between the autocannon and twin-linked lascannon.

Nathnem

Update:
I have finished the design with both an Autocannon and the twin-linked Lascannon as seen below.

I will start the test build in a moment, when I finish I will post the result.

Attachments

• Autocannon.jpg
    Autocannon.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Lascannon.jpg
    Lascannon.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 51

Nathnem

The test build on the turret went well.
The first pic is of all of the pieces after they have been cut out.
The next pic is of all of the pieces after they have been assembled as separate parts.
Followed by three pictures of the assembled turret.
Finally I have included a pic of the turret on the base of rhino (just the center section) for scale.

Attachments

• Pieces.jpg
    Pieces.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Side.jpg
    Side.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Based.jpg
    Based.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 59

Nathnem

After comparing my model to pics of the real thing I have decided that the pivot is too far back on the turret. Tomorrow I will build the barrel types to see if there are any other flaws before I rework the design.

does any one else see any other points that need to be reworked?

Nathnem

Update: I got a little distracted the last few days, but I got around to building the gun barrels today. I found another adjustment that I need to make, the mounting box for the barrel is .05 of an inch too big and it makes inserting barrels next to impossible.

After I fix these two little problems I should be able to release the plans.

P.S. Sorry about the size of the pics in my last post, I forgot just how big my camera takes the pic. I have cropped these.

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 98
  • Autocannon.jpg
    Autocannon.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Lascannon.jpg
    Lascannon.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 89

Nathnem

As I stated in my last post I got distracted, well I needed a few bunkers for a last minute game, so I designed what I call the Space Marine Drop Bunker.

Like 90% of the Space Marines army I used the Rhino as a base design, and tweaked the shape to make it look more like a bunker.

The only pieces that are not in the plan is the radar post (which is a toothpick cut to 1/2 inch) and the radar's antenna (A piece of 20 gauge wire also cut to 1/2 inch, A small paperclip should work well)

For the curved antenna array I simply rolled the piece around a pencil to get the shape and then glued it into place.

I included two mounts for heavy weapons, but I haven't designed the weapons yet. I'll update the plans when I get around to the weapons systems.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 43
  • SpaceMarineBunker.rar
    86.6 KB · Views: 41

Nathnem

Here are the plans for the add-on to turn the rhino into the predator.

Attachments

• Predator.jpg
    Predator.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 132

Nathnem

I had an interesting discussion with another player the other day, after using the bunker I just made, about race specific buildings specifically bunkers. In campaign play each army usually sets up defenses to protect territory, this includes strongholds, bunkers, gun emplacements and the like.

These buildings should reflect the army being played, I play Space Marines, and Necrons, so after this discussion I started to design a Necron style bunker. I was wondering what a bunker for each race would look like, I am only familiar with the armies that I play so I was looking for other peoples ideas as to the other armies.

I figure each bunker should have two heavy weapon mounts and a communication devise of some sort.

The armies I have an idea for are:
Space Marines: posted here
Necrons: will be posted here soon
Imperial Guard: The bunker in the warhammer rule book

kaeota

This looks like a very nice template; thanks! I play guard but I /detest/ the turret on the chimera; going to give this one a go in its stead :)

Hats

Tau: Truncated cone with trim. A large antenna, probably a spare from a vehicle kit.

Orks: Ramshackle scrap heap. Probably one wall is a ruins, with pieces of metal fastened together.

Eldar: A half-sphere with a reinforcing half-circle across the top, all is smooth.

Dark Eldar: Open circle with spikes, bonus points for a sculpted torture scene in the middle of it

Chaos: A spikey version of the SM bunker

Tyrannid: Pulsing mass of flesh with biocannons sticking out of it.

I'm sure some other people can come up with better ideas for these but at least it's something, eh?

devox

that turret design is a thing of beauty. I started paper crafting/warhammer 40k modeling about 4 weeks ago using the golden bolter societies' papercraft collection. I used scratch paper and manilla folders as card and a permanent blue marker to 'paint it'. Since then I have built a game worthy painted leman russ and griffon outta card stock and foam. Ill have to post my amateurish predator as a comparison to your piece of art.

Fl0ydski

Was this Turret design ever made available (other than the low-res image on the 1st page of this thread)?? I'd like to give it a try for my own predator.

Thanks,
Floyd

KGC

Ottimo, vorrei chiederti una cosa, ma sarebbe possibile usare modelli di carta in partite ufficiali??

Ariod Frost

Hey!, absolutely awesome stuff. I am trying to extend my army without emptying my wallet, and as an artist I have a ton of card stock for final draft pictures. Can I posibly get a full size of the turret?