Virus Season - the computer kind

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I am starting to get lots of virus at my home address which is strange since my public address is the hotmail one you see here. In the past two hours, I've received four emails with bugs in them. I have yet to receive a virus email at my hotmail address, but I am getting them at my home address.

The virus harvest people's addresses from the recipients address book, and then mails out the virus to those folks. That means if I am in some one's address, it will be copied and others will receive a virus email from me, even though I didn't send it out.

What I am requesting is that obviously the net is experiencing a higher than average virus attack. I would request all forum members purge their address's in outlook express, keeping those which they only use frequently. And especially purge the email address's of forum members. Last year at this time, I received about 4 emails a day for about a month of the Klez virus, harvesting emails and forwarding them to other people.

So its time for a New Year's cleaning of your rarely used email addresses.

Also, don't forget to update your virus definitions.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
According to Symantec, Novarg/MyDoom (this latest virus) avoids distributing itself to hotmail.com. This has got to be the strangest one yet...intentionally avoiding certain domains (and all .edu), then making a limited attack on the SCO website (from 2/1/04 through 2/12/04). Weird... Why not just attack it continously?

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.novarg.a@mm.html

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
What is weirder is how this worm showed up on my doorstep. When I opened my private email account which I don't make public I had three delivery failure notifications of emails that I sent out, but couldn't be delivered. Now I knew I hadn't sent any emails out from Out Look Express so I was instantly suspicious.

I then forwarded all my failed email deliveries to my hotmail account. My OutLook Express can't open attachments anyway. I trust the email virus checker at hotmail as I know it is about as up to date as anything out there. So when I went to download the attachment, hotmail warned me they contained the new worm.

So everyone, don't open anything if you have an email delivery notification that said it couldn't get through.

And again I'll say, update your virus definitions.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I got five of these at each of my two email accounts that I don't make public. I found them before I heard about this virus, but had no intentions of opening the attachments anyway. I do not open attachments that I'm not expecting, even from people I know. My ISP is a small cable company and doesn't have a lot of accounts. Seems as if someone that works for one of the communities they serve has all that ISP's email addresses in their computer, and they obviously got infected, opening the door for others to follow.

I have a friend who is constantly getting infected because he opens up all attachments from people he knows, not realizing they sometimes didn't send them in the first place.

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Someone who knows the software better than I would have to explain how this works, but in certain email programs, like Outlook, the system keeps a record of people you have emailed, even if you don't have them in your contacts. So if you send an email to a website tech support, then they reply to you and they happen to catch the virus, then the virus will send itself to you even though they don't have you in their contacts and have most likely deleted your email. This was explained to me once when the Klez was causing such a ruccus, but I don't remember it.

I hear the MyDoom is actually targeting the SCO website because they are a Unix software company that is not open source and is against open source programming, while Linux is open source, but SCO has had some legal disputes with prominent Linux programmers. I think someone was trying to make a statement.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well, I use "Popcorn" first to look at my mail before it gets into my system, if there are any viruses, they can be deleted there. Once clear, I can then bring in the mail to my account free of any virus.
shamus

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
My ISP has a great anti-virus system and won't let any e-mail through that has a virus embedded or attached so I am safe. The only down side is the protection may stop a virus free e-mail at times. Not very often. If any of you has sent me an e-mail and not got a response then just PM me here.