USS MAINE - 1:200 scale from Heinkel Models

JP64

Jun 19, 2020
Hello to all paper-modelers

In last days I've just completed a model of american protected cruiser USS MAINE (ACR-1) of 1888 that was famous because his explosion and sunk in the Havana harbor brought at the outbreak of Spanish-American War.

The kit has been developed by Heinkel Models with a very high level of design, and a lot of interesting particulars. The model can be build both waterline and full-hulled version (like I made it). I had this kit as a gift, few years ago, and I started this building in 2019.

In this model, some of the standing rigging (in particulars the "nets" for stepping on the masts) is made by paper.
The rest of the rigging has been made by metal wire (0,1 and 0,2 mm) because I have finished the paper that I have used for rigging in my last models (SMS Sachesen and PS Alexandra) and I was not yet able to find new foils of the same type/weight and strenght and so I decided to complete this model with metallic wire.

Anyway, here are some of the pics took few days ago.

Hoping you'll like ..

Have a nice paper-modeling time !!!

ciao
JP

jk6b9vkh.jpg

lF7Qyzmh.jpg

dNY2oZNh.jpg

21vu8hyh.jpg

HORSDHOh.jpg

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Excellent job. There's a cannon at Seaside Park in Bridgeport, Connecticut that has a cannon from the Spanish-American War on display outside, next the the eastern end of the park, on a point there, where the breakwater juts out. The plaque on the front of the base, was made out of steel salvaged from the USS Maine. About 1000 of these plaques were made in to memorize those wounded and killed. The base of the cannon came with the cannon. The patina is rubbed off from all the kids sitting on it. When I was very young, we used to clean out the bore as much as we could, and fill it with M-80's. It made a great sound, and could not possibly hurt this cannon, but we really should not have done that. ;)

USS Main Plaque.JPG

Reactions: JP64