UPS for decoder

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I have a brass Mack Railbus that only picks up on the two rear drive wheels. Suffice to say it does not like insulated turnouts.

I have explored the idea of an Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for a decoder. The only commercial version appears to be from Lenz, and they want about $60 for a Gold-series decoder, and another $60 for the UPS capacitor unit. :eek: I am a complete electrical newbie, but it seems to me that there has got to be a cheaper way to do this?

Any thoughts? Diagrams? Shopping lists? Illustrated how-to's? ;)

Thanks!

Andrew

billwv

Jan 13, 2005
West Virginia
Hi,

I, also, know very little about electronics. But, I think it is much more complicated than just adding a capacitor. There has to be a charging system to avoid current inrush. I also understand the Lenz system will not stop the loco on a spot if there is no contact there, i.e. try to find good contact before stopping the loco. etc.

I have Lenz Gold decoders and they are excellent in terms of BEMF control and smooth slow speed. For me that makes them worth the extra cost.

I have not tried the USP module. I have heard that slodering the module to the decoder pads is very difficult and should only be attempted by experienced techs.

Bill

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Bill,

Thanks for the feedback on the Lenz decoders... I will enlist the help of an experienced solderer when the time comes...!

Radar,

I think that your proposal may be the easiest solution, but I would like to try the capacitor/UPS in part just so I can say I have done it... ;) Actually, it does look like the best solution to the problem, with the extra pick-ups being a close second.

Andrew

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The capacitor/UPS solution really needs to be on the motor side of the decoder, not the track side, since putting it on the track side will corrupt the DCC signal itself. I don't know how the decoder output is going to react to the capacitor, but I think it should work, at least to a degree. I'll have to give that some thought. I'll write more later, if I learn anything.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for that link. Looks like I will either have to give up on the idea, or vastly improve my soldering skills and equipment...! But at least I know where to find the explanation if I care to attempt it. :)

Andrew